a new lens? or a new camera?

shifra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
d

Last edited:
For sharpness, good technics and a good lens are definitely more important than a new camera. I doubt you will see any differences in image sharpness between a XTi and a 40D. For ultimate optical quality look at prime lenses (non-zoom) such as a 50mm f1.4 (or the cheaper f1.8) or 85mm f1.8. Those 2 lenses are really good for portrait.

Thanks Steph, but wouldn't a non-zoom lens make the picture look like an average photo as opposed to the blurry background effect you get with a telephoto lens?

ps: where is the "manage attachments" button?

Forgive my noobishness, but I believe you can still achieve the bokeh you're looking for by adjusting the aperture. Isn't it the larger the aperture, the more blurry the background? I'm pretty new to this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Steph, but wouldn't a non-zoom lens make the picture look like an average photo as opposed to the blurry background effect you get with a telephoto lens?

A telephoto IS a non-zoom (fixed focal length) lens. In fact, the shallow depth-of-filed (blurry background) is more pronounced with telephoto lenses as compared to a normal lens or wide-angle lens.

Zoom lenses are variable focal length lenses.

-Pete

Forgive my noobishness, but I believe you can still achieve the bokeh you're looking for by adjusting the aperture. Isn't it the larger the aperture, the more blurry the background? I'm pretty new to this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's right.

Other factors that affect depth-of-field include the focal length of the lens and the distance from camera to subject.

Longer lenses afford less depth-of-field.
Focusing in close decreases the depth-of field.

-Pete

Strictly as a technical nit-pick, please note that the term 'bokeh' does not refer to the the fact that the background is out of focus, or even the degree to which it is out of focus, but rather the actual appearance of the out of focus elements. Good explanation by Ken Rockwell here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Hi,
I am new to this site..... I have a canon rebel xti and a a 70-300 mm canon lens. I take mostly portraits (my kids) and just started taking friends. I feel like my pictures are lacking the sharpness I see on professional pictures and am wondering if it's the camera or the lens that needs to be upgraded (or maybe its just me :confused:
I was thinking of upgrading to canon 40D. What do you guys think? would that change the sharpness of my pictures or is getting a more expensive lens more important?
thanks

Shouldn't this be moved? I mean portraits of his kids and friends don't exactly cover
The Professional Gallery This is a Gallery for our working photographers! Show off your latest wedding, portraiture, or any work you've done for your clients.

and just to second the opinion already given, you would definitely want to upgrade the lens over upgrading the body. With the right lens getting the lens first will help with your photos much more than a different body (though really most of it is the photographer, so the more you practice the better the photos will look anyway). another advantage to getting the lens is that when you eventually do upgrade the body you can bring the lens with you.

Also, another good lens to get is the 85mm 1.8, it's often found in the 300ish range which is an incredible deal, and it makes a great portrait lens (if that's mostly what you're going to use it for).

I think if you have to ask this question, you probably don't know your camera inside and out, nor your lens. What you have is perfectly capable of great pictures... remember that its not the camera that makes the picture, but the photographer. I recommend reading up on exposure and what it can do for you- very useful :thumbup:

You shouldn't be having any problems with sharpness with that equipment. What settings and focal lengths are you using when you take portraits?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back