A Nikon AF 70-300mm won't work with my Nikon D5200 - correct?

kkkkkk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A Nikon AF 70-300mm won't work with my Nikon D5200 or at least won't auto-focus - is this correcct?

There were various models of this lens, I believe most of them should work.
The latest model the 70-300mm VR will work on your camera, it has the in lens AF motor.

The AF model (which I have) will not auto focus on current models below the D7100. This is because the lens requires the camera body to have a focusing motor of which the D5200 does not.. The AF-S VR version of this lens will however, work just fine because the lens has a built in motor.

AF-S VR works just fine on my d5200

Attachments

• DSC_0519.jpg
    DSC_0519.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 305
AF-S VR works just fine on my d5200
Yes, the AF-S (#2126) will, but not the AF (#1928) - they are two different lenses.

Nikon is great because of the fact that they haven't changed their mount like Canon so people can continue to use the older AF and even manual focus lenses. I however don't agree with their decision to omit the focus motor from their entry level bodies such as the D3xxx/D5xxx. Because of this it creates a lot of confusion for people just starting out with Nikon.

Basically Nikon has two types of auto focusing lenses. (AF) which simply stands for "Auto Focus" and are the first type of auto focusing lenses that Nikon made. These lenses use a screw driven gear driven by a motor from within the camera body.

The second type is the newer (AF-S) which means "Auto Focus-Silent Wave Motor". These lenses have a motor installed in the lens itself which is significantly quieter, and in most cases faster focusing than the earlier AF lenses. As long as any lens you buy has "AF-S" listed in the name it will auto focus, and work 100% with your camera.

While the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G will not auto focus on a D5200 it will do everything else, like meter and you can set the lens aperture with the D5200 Command wheel and aperture button near the shutter release button.

Many don't read their users manuals very closely (if at all) and don't know all of Nikon's 'baby' DSLRs (D40, D40x, D60, D3x00, D5x00) have a manual focusing aid known as Rangefinder mode. In the D5200 Reference Manual see page 159.

Most reactions

Back