eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Black and White or Color?

PianoRose.jpg

PianoRose2.jpg

While I think black and white is overused, it looks really good here. Great picture.

Both nice but im going to agree my eyes are enjoying the black and white one a bit more.

I personally like the black and white better, but i think it would look really cool if the the rose was in color and the piano stayed B&W.

The 1st pic in b&w is nice, although I wish there were more contrast.

The 2nd pick I would prefer more if the rose and keys were kept in color while the rest of the piano was b&w. Might be interesting to edit it that way.

I am a fan of selective coloring, I think it would look good with the rose petals in color and everything else black and white.

I personally like the black and white better, but i think it would look really cool if the the rose was in color and the piano stayed B&W.

I thought so too! Quick edit, just desaturated the image around the rose.

4319292322_2f54befbd9_o.jpg

I think they might be a bit underexposed.
not particular liking BW, try boosting the red channel in it - might give the flower more of a KICK. However the color one looks much nicer. Nonetheless the colored version seems VERY red/warm.
I've been a fan of selective color for very long time perhaps the colored photograph is the candidate for such manipulation.
Good Luck

EDIT:
and as I was typing it, someone DID selective color - much better IMO.

I personally like the color one better.

Eric, you know my thoughts on selective color. I also know you won't be offended by my comments.

Selective color doesn't always "work". It doesn't work for this image. It really makes this image weak. It just looks like a super imposed red flower on another image. Selective color creates such strong center of interest that the rest of the image just doesn't matter. Can it get any more cliche? Also, with the rose being on the left, your eye stops there and the rest of the image is just dead.

As has been suggested before why not try slightly desaturating the rest of the image to draw attention to the rose, without smacking the viewer over the head with it? What happened to subtlety? Why does the rose have to be super saturated?

My question to everyone who just loves selective color...Why? What about it grabs you so much? Does it add anything to the commentary of the image? What does it say to you?

I like the colored rose on the B/W piano. Never get tired of seeing this type of photo.

Eric, you know my thoughts on selective color. I also know you won't be offended by my comments.

Selective color doesn't always "work". It doesn't work for this image. It really makes this image weak. It just looks like a super imposed red flower on another image. Selective color creates such strong center of interest that the rest of the image just doesn't matter. Can it get any more cliche? Also, with the rose being on the left, your eye stops there and the rest of the image is just dead.

As has been suggested before why not try slightly desaturating the rest of the image to draw attention to the rose, without smacking the viewer over the head with it? What happened to subtlety? Why does the rose have to be super saturated?

My question to everyone who just loves selective color...Why? What about it grabs you so much? Does it add anything to the commentary of the image? What does it say to you?

I believe we have the same thoughts about selective coloring. I am simply not a fan of it at all. I believe the reason I do not like it is because it seems like everyone with a point and shoot who edits the pictures on picnik feels they need to selective color their image. But that's just how I feel about it. When I get home I may try to slightly desaturate the image while leaving the rose. What are your thoughts on the image itself Bitter.

I like the colored rose on the B/W piano. Never get tired of seeing this type of photo.

Why?

What are your thoughts on the image itself Bitter.

I think it could be better with the rose, in focus, farther down the keys. The keys would be leading lines taking you to the rose. Where as now, like I said above, the rose is the first thing you see, on the left of the frame, and you need not wander farther into the image.

My thoughts. Here's a grain of salt "."
;)

Most reactions

Back