A Portrait Of Sorts

She was primarily interested in the digital images, but I gave her some damn good prints, including an Ilfochrome of shot #3 from the other thread. This one was printed RA-4. I printed shot #6 from the other thread on Ektalure (which is very very thick, almost like card stock, and is super matte) to really bring out those gritty shadows in the background, and developed in Amidol. I really needed the extended tone range in order to preserve the detail on the left hand side of her face while at the same time trying to control my accidental over-exposure that slightly blew out the right-hand side. They all turned out beautifully.

Not many, as far as I can tell. This is probably the topic for a separate thread, but I think that digital has a host of impediments to good prints, from color accuracy to expense. Even if you get a reasonably priced print from some local lab, it still requires you to have a color calibrated system at home, and to adjust your image according to whatever color profile they're using, whether the print be pigment (inkjet) or silver gelatin via LightJet. Alternatively, you could print at home. But at least for black and white, I'm not aware of any pigment setup that can yield really consistent prints and a really wide tone range for under $10k, and I'm not exaggerating.

True dat. I get amazing results, but is only 1/45th (I made up that number) of the quality of film resolution. Hate to get sappy, but seeing your images really mad me miss my film days. On a brighter note I have a 4x5 shot tomorrow. Fuji T64. It is only copy work, but I can not wait to see the results.

Love & Bass

I have 100 sheets of Ektachrome Tungsten that expired in 1980 sitting in my freezer unopened, and not the faintest idea what to do with it. I'll probably do a test with a daylight filter just to see what it does, and perhaps cross-process a bit.

Not sure how to say this so I am just going to say it. Send me 20 sheets. I only shoot 4x5 close to twice a year. My clients and I would be grateful because emailing B&H at the 11th hour is costly. On the other hand keep in mind that the T64 is a beautiful film.

Love & Bass

I've heard great things about T64. Any idea what the speed of this Ektachrome is? It doesn't say on the box. Is it also 64?

Extachrome was made in a couple of different modes. 64 to 100 was always the ISO. T indicates tungsten so that is the only thing you have to watch out for.

Love & Bass

I am completly new to this and you obviously know much more about technique then I do, but I just wanted to comment...I really like this picture. I like that the dress isn't in focus, because it focuses on her face. I love her expression. Oh, and I think the lighting is nice. Just my .02 cents.

The more (it has been that long) I think about it the colours on the box indicated the speed. Red and yellow were 64. Blue and yellow were 100. Not certain though.

Love & Bass

Perhaps there could have been a bit more light on the left side of her face, but I'm failing to see such an egregious posture problem. I think the pose is rather lovely.

Well, if you are not noticing the detail that I see, then we will never be able to communicate. C'est la vie!

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back