A question about the Nikon D40 camera...

TheSaint83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want all of the pictures file names to be continuous. For instance if I take ten pictures (DSC_0001 through DSC_0010) and then dump them onto my computer and take ten more, I want the 11th picture to have a file name of DSC_0011 even though it is now technically the first picture on the memory card. My camera starts fresh with DSC_0001 after every time I empty the memory card onto my computer.

How I can adjust these file names to be continuous? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I can't give you the exact directions as I am a Canon user. There is an option in your menu to turn this feature on. You will have to look through your manual for the exact directions or you can just browse through the camera's menus.

Under your set up menu...Look for file number sequence and have it set to on.

By default, it will restart the numbering process - which you don't want.

Also remember, once you get to 9999 pictures you have taken, it will create a new folder.

My D300 will have folder 100 and then after 9999 pictures, I take one more picture and that puts that picture in 101 and so on.

~Michael~

Under your set up menu...Look for file number sequence and have it set to on.

By default, it will restart the numbering process - which you don't want.

Also remember, once you get to 9999 pictures you have taken, it will create a new folder.

My D300 will have folder 100 and then after 9999 pictures, I take one more picture and that puts that picture in 101 and so on.

~Michael~
I'm looking for "File No. Sequence" under the Setup Menu but it isn't coming up! I even found it in my owners manual but for whatever reason, I still cannot find it in the cameras menu. My options are...

CSM/Setup Menu
Format Memory Card
Info Display Format
Auto shooting info
world time
LCD brightness
Video mode
Launguage
Image comment
USB

The manual says I should find "File No. Sequence" here, but I'm not seeing it.

You're welcome. Just keep in mind that 9999 thing and it starting over and making another folder. I think I've restarted mine on my D300 about 6 times since January

~Michael~

I'll be damned. I didn't even know this was possible. Cool. Thanks for bringing the subject up. Now I can forget my computer asking me if I want to overwrite files.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back