A Quick Question

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This question has probably been discussed a million times but I have to ask. Which is a better choice Canon 85mm or 100mm?

Thanks,
Mike V

A better choice for what purpose?

The 85mm F1.8 is a decent lens at a good price. Said to be very sharp.
The 85mm F1.2 is a professional lens with an ultra wide max. aperture and costs an arm and three legs.
The 100mm F2.8 macro is a sharp lens with the ability to focus close enough to achieve 1:1 macro magnification.

to be more specific it is between these two

1-EF 100 mm f/2 USM Standard and Medium Telephoto Lens

or

2-EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike V

Both! They have two different purposes.

is it just a difference of 15mm?

85mm f1.8 - Excellent portrait lens. 1/2 body shots. Good indoor sports lens. Fast with quick focus. Tack sharp.

100mm f2.8 macro - Main purpose= 1:1 macro. Secondary = Head and/or head and shoulder portrait lens. Tack sharp. So-so sports lens. Slow focus with a very touchy focus ring in manual focus. (it's designed for macro) Not as fast optically but still nice.

My portrait kit includes a 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 macro & a 135 f2.0L.

My macro kit includes a 100mm f2.8 (same lens) set of kenko tubes for closer than 1:1 and a novoflex rail system.

It's not the scant 15mm that matters it the purpose and design of the glass.

He was more specific to the 100mm f2 USM not f2.8 Macro.

Never used the 100mm f2 but I can tell yah that the 85mm f1.8 is wonderful lens. Lots of bang for the buck and a good build quality. Sharp!

I shoot mainly with: 24mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, and 135mm f2L . Never needed anything else.

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks again,
Mike V

Most reactions

New Topics

Back