A series on how the photographer can make images with impact

The_Traveler said:
it is my contention, that everyone has some and can be trained to have more.

Lew

I was wondering what your opinion was on this. I don't have the "photographers eye" and was beginning to feel it couldn't be learned and so I guess I was wondering what a professionals opinion on it was. It may sound silly but this opinion gives me a renewd sense of hope. So, thank you for that!
I look forward to your future blogs and appreciate your opinion. Also appreciate that you changed your statement although I really hope that you don't do that on my account otherwise your libel to be changing it all too often for me or maybe other noobs who comment. :)

John

John,

These statements in those blog posts are only my conviction about the way people see images.
No research, nothing, only inferring from how I react and how others critique images.
If what I write works for you, good. I'm happy.
If it doesn't, tell me.

I'm pretty/very opinionated but am not always clear when I write. Don't be concerned that I am changing to match your comments but only being a little more precise about what I thought.

I encourage you and everyone to comment on the blog posts themselves so that any useful discussion can be preserved.

Lew

I think I must be missing something:

The Axioms that follow from the Rule at the Top
Below that most important Rule are three axioms that govern making successful images.

1. Everything in the frame must have a purpose
  2. Important things should be in important places
  3. Elements that add to the image should be maximized and elements that detract from the image should be minimized.
These four statements above comprise my entire philosophy for making images.

I only read 3 statements? Am I missing something?

I think I must be missing something:

The Axioms that follow from the Rule at the Top
Below that most important Rule are three axioms that govern making successful images.

1. Everything in the frame must have a purpose
  2. Important things should be in important places
  3. Elements that add to the image should be maximized and elements that detract from the image should be minimized.
These four statements above comprise my entire philosophy for making images.

I only read 3 statements? Am I missing something?

Know what you are taking a picture of.
Everything in the frame must have a purpose
Important things should be in important places
Elements that add to the image should be maximized and elements that detract from the image should be minimized.

I changed the sentence to "The main rule and the three axioms that descend from it comprise my entire philosophy for making images " so there is less confusion.

Thanks for posting your blog series on photography. I've printed out the main rule & 3 axioms. On a black & white photo I posted you asked me questions about the photo based on your 4 rules and it really made me think. Looking forward to more in your series.

Thanks, Derrel. I know you don't suffer fools gladly and so your positive comments are more meaningful for that.

CheryIL,
Thanks for responding.

After reading what you wrote, I went and put in a comment in the blog pointing out that these are rules for the behavior and thought of the photographer, not how to make pictures.
I think that is a crucial point; pictures succeed because the maker knows how viewers think and respond and creates the image to take advantage of that, not to conform to any (silly, almost arbitrary) rules of composition.
Thanks again for commenting.

Lew

Most reactions

Back