AAARRGGHH!!! New to HDR need help

PuppY_K1ck3R

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys this time I decided to go the CS3 route instead of Photomatix pro since it would save me a full 100 bux.

Here are my pics let me know what I need to improve on and such. I plan on not using photomatix in the future and just full on CS3.

Orig
SJViewOrig.jpg

HDR
SJViewHDR.jpg

Orig
Churchorig.jpg

HDR- I over did this i think looks to yellow to me.
ChurchHDR.jpg

Orig
HallwayOrig.jpg

HDR
HallwayHDR.jpg

I like them and think you did well using Photoshop. From my experience, photoshops HDR is hard to use compared to Photomatix. I tried it a few times and ended up using photomatix.

The middle one is definately too yellow and the last one looks a bit yellow on my monitor.

I really like the first though.

I like the first one a lot, but the last two are too yellow as you mentioned. I really liked seeing the difference between the original and HDR image. The HDR really brings out the grass and sky. I love how in the last one you can see all the way down the hall in the HDR, but the original is completely white. Overall, very nice job.

From what I have read, it seems HDR pictures are a touchy subject.

Some like - some dislike
Many beleive they are over done and used.

One thing though, like any art, it really depends on what the artist (photographer) is going for. What was the end result that was sought after? Was it the yello grainy fake/painted look? or a just an Image that captured everything?

I am very much still a noob, but this is my take on it.

Example;
Practicing and learning, I took a photo of my Moms house, the end result is what I wanted (mainly because it is what She wanted)
farmhouse.jpg

Agreed. It is a matter of opinion and taste. Some like it subtle and some way over done. Try photomatix it works well!

dslrchat I like the way the left side of the house turned out (bbq grill and wall) also the grass looks great.

Are you using multiple exposures, or just trying to convert a single image? True HDR's are made up of multiple exposures which give you a full range of tonal detail.

they are all too yellow and just overly saturated and overly processed I think. As others have asked, are you actually using multiple exposures or just tone mapping one image? Because the point of HDR is to get the detail from the extreme highlights to the shadows, and like in your second one the sky is actually brighter than before.

yup im using auto bracketing and using 3 raw images. Photoshop wont let u do just one image unlike Photomatix which lets u off with one making a psuedo hdr pic. This is strictly photoshop im using. BTW, my bracketing -2 0 +2

I think my advice would be to try toning it down some and see how it looks. Heres my very first HDR that I did before I had the photomatix plug in (so all done in cs3). Id suggest getting the photomatix plug in when you can, it really helps and its a lot easier I think.

hdr2aa.png

You can see a couple of my more recent ones that I just posted in the general gallery.

Yah, HDR is really a matter of opinion/taste. I think the original intention was to take a scene with different areas of exposure and blend it so that everything is in proper exposure. Personally, I like to tweak them out!! That's the only reason I like doing them!! To me, it's not worth it any other way. I would recommend photomatix. PS just didn't work well for me and that seems to be the general opinion. I have a few HDR's posted in this forum, all done with photomatix. Just keep working with the program and figure out what effect YOU want, and then strive to get it with all of the different controls.

Most reactions

Back