Accesories for beginners!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by GimpyPoop, Dec 24, 2003.

1. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    K, just running this by you more seasoned photographers to make sure I am not going overboard (since I tend to do that with every other thing in my life).
    For my first ever camera (the Canon G5), I will purchase a lens adaptor, UV/haze filter, camera bag (well duh), 256 MB compactflash, and MAYBE a tripod (though I know the decent ones are quite expensive), and a photography book.
    Am I a moroff for wanting to buy only Canon brand items? Um . . . any suggestions of brands I should stick to with regards to the above items I am desiring?
    What else do you think I would find useful???
    Ha ha, what a vague inquiry!
    Thanks in advance.
    Me, the Flea

2. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    Oh and I want a non-leather carrying case (I am vegan). Does Samsonite make one?
    I am looking at ebay and all I see is leather ones. Hrmph!
    Me, the Flea

3. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

why dont u get a canvas bag ... i carry all my stuff in a bike messenger bag :) ... so does the hubby, and he carrys a lot of lens

4. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    Like a plain ole canvas bag? And your stuff doesn't get banged around?
    I'm kind of . . . how do you say, clumsy. ;)
    I've been looking at ebay and online camera stores . . . so many choices, argh!
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Me, the Flea

5. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

most of lowepro's stuff is non-leather

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd stay away from leather... doesn't weather as well as water resistant canvas. It also weights more...

Tripod should be your first investment... I recommended starting with the 3001N manfrotto legs in a different thread but I did not realize you had a canon G5 at the time I posted. You might be able to save a few more bucks and pounds by going with a lighter tripod. Manfrotto makes a Digital Tripod line that is cheaper ( 714B tripod with ball head is $95 at bhphoto ). Unfortunately, I cannot comment on that line as I've never seen one first hand. For more details and specs on bogen/manfrotto, check out bogenphoto.com. Model numbers, Max load, max height, weight, etc.. are all listed on their website.

7. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    My boyfriend ended up buying me a Delsey bag (no leather, yay!). I checked out some Lowepro bags afterwards, but I must say I really like my bag. :)
    I really really want the Manfrotto and Bogen 3001N after reading all the raving reviews. Incidentally I put the 714B on my Amazon wishlist just because it is my second choice. :) I do want the 3001 purely because I want this tripod to last a long time and have the ability to support any future heavier cameras I may purchase. I need to go and feel out the actual tripods before I make this purchase I really can't afford anyway (ha ha).
    Thanks so much for the help ya'll!
    Me, the Flea

8. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

you might want an external flash with that, because that barrel adapter blocks out the bottem right hand part of the flash on the camera, and it will be very noticable on all your flash pictures.

9. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    I am going to splurge on a tripod before I even think about buying an external flash.
    Yes, sadly I have noticed the darkened corner. :(
    Me, the Flea

10. joseph

joseph TPF Noob!

So the mistake I made, before I started to shoot seriously, I went out and decided, with the help of forums like this one, what I WILL need. Bought a lot of stuff I then sold on Ebay, for a loss, of course, and after I knew what I REALY wanted after actual photography expereince I bought totaly different stuff i.e lenses, bags, accessories and so on. Only thing I did not change was the camera body and one 50mm lens.

So my advice, just use your G5 put it in your pocket or backpack, less chance of it getting ripped off then carrying it in a Lowpro bag advertising.. expensive camera in here....take pictures for a few months then you will now what you really need.
    :D

11. GimpyPoop

GimpyPoop TPF Noob!

Yo,
    joseph, thanks for the advice. I get a little crazy when I get new things. Got to have all of the accessories like a moron!
    Anyway, I was kind of thinking that a camera bag was basically advertisement for a thefting, but the thing is, I do want my camera to be perfectly protected from me (I'm clumsy).
    I am going to hold off from any more purchases until I get a better feel for the camera!

12. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

No matter how we carry our cameras, every serious photo hobbiest is already advertizing to the world about their camera.... When they see the tripod in our hands.