achieving warm colours... how to?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AussieFreelancer, Mar 21, 2008.

1. AussieFreelancer

AussieFreelancer TPF Noob!

Hi all, last week I bought the Sony a100 :D The camera of my dreams for the last 18months :) So now I just need to work out how to use it properly. Yesterday I went out near sunset to take some photos of kangaroos. There was a great setting with some kangaroos in dried grass, with a really warm colour from the sun turning everything a golden colour.

However my photos didnt capture that warmth. I tried to play with the shutter speed and aperture, but to no avail. Does anyone have any handy hints for achieving more warmer colours?

Thanks

Patrick

2. mattlacey

mattlacey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm no expert but I think you'll achieve what you want through changing the white balance, essentially it shifts towards red (warmer) or blue (cooler) according to the setting (light type) you choose.

3. AussieFreelancer

AussieFreelancer TPF Noob!

hi thanks for the reply, that would change every photo though wouldnt it? is there a way using the combination of shutter and aperture that would give a true representation of colour?

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    No you can change your white balance in the camera. The camera will try to auto whitebalance things out of the box so if you photograph a white sheet of paper at sunset or in the shade it'll still be white. (note: I hate autowhitebalancing)

Ideally you want to shoot in RAW mode so you can change your white balance AFTER you take the photo. But if you're not up for that then just set the white balance as you see fit. There should be a button somewhere for it on the camera. If you're at your next sunset and your colours look cold set the white balance to "daylight" and take the photo again. If it's still too cold set the white balance to "shade". The shutter and aperture make no difference here.

My camera is always set in daylight unless i'm not happy with the photos. This gives neutral colour out in the sun.