ACR changed my RAW file!?

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just used the adjustment brush in ACR to add some negetive clairty on a portrait. This is the first time I have used this brush, and now when I bring up the thumbnail in Bridge or if I open it in ACR or PS, the alterations have stayed on the RAW file. Is this misleading? Is there a way to revert it back to normal? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

In Adobe Bridge, go to the "Settings" menu, which in my version is displayed in the upper right hand side of the window, underneath the image's histogram, and using the small disclosure triangle, pull down to "Camera RAW Defaults", and it will display the image without the changes you made earlier.

so it will switch it back permanantly or just show the original version temporarily? I did notice that the thumbnail had some like gray circle in the top right corner with small arrows ( atleast thats what it looked like to me ). I am not at my computer right now so I will try that as soon as I am. Thanks for your help.

What's happening is that ACR saved the image's adjustments in a "sidecar" XML file. Bridge uses this adjustments file to "process" the preview image it shows. The actual RAW file is totally unchanged. The steps the other posters have mentioned merely tell Bridge to ignore the adjustments file and use ACR's ordinary defaults instead.

ACR, itself, will also use this adjustments sidecar file the next time you open the RAW file. The adjustments aren't "fixed", they are completely editable. Its just the ACR uses the saved settings as a starting point instead of using its regular new image defaults.

Awesome, I thought it would mess up if i never reverted it manually. That makes sense about the sidecar. I forgot that Adobe does that with ACR. So technically I could also just manually delete the .xmp file and when I opened the pic in ACR it would just create a new one. Correct?

Most reactions

Back