adjusting f/ help

maverickphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been reading my book and in it it says to point the camera at like the sky or the ground to adjust f/ then returning to the subject. So how would i know when i should be looking up or down? :D

If you want to expose for the ground point your camera to the ground. If you want to expose for the sky point your camera to the sky. I think you should read the book again: what you quoted from the book does not really make sense on its own and out of context. What are you trying to achieve?

Agree with Steph, something sounds a little out of whack. With the modern matrix metering in most DSLRs, you generally only need to point the camera at the subject. There are exceptions of course, but without a little more info, I don't think we can help. What camera? What book?

I'll have to let you know what im trying to say when i get home. I have been re-reading the first couple of chapters. Just to make sure I understand. I was going from memory, LOL of course ive only read the first 2 chap. :)

jason

I think I know what you're trying to get at. I believe you are trying to find the correct exposure by using your meter. Perhaps your book is trying to guide you on how to use your f# (aperture) to obtain the correct exposure. I am a newbie so I maybe doing this the wrong way. I usually use my f to first control my background. If I want a nice bokeh behind my subject, I set a lower f# (usually somewhere around 2.8 or lower). If I want a focussed background or the background is my subject, I would set my f# higher (usually 16+).

Remember the smaller f#, the larger the aperture; hence, more light comes in so from there I would adjust my shutter speed accordingly. I usually adjust my exposure through my shutter speeds before cranking on my aperture. If it turns out that my shutter speed is a little long, it may unfotunately give me more of a chance for producing a blurry picture due to camera movement. Then try raising your f# a click. For exposure metering, I try as much possible not to raise the ISO above 200 outdoor or 400 indoor unless I absolutely have to. If I am completely wrong on how I go about setting my exposure, just spank me and call me Charlie.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back