advantage of having an 18-55 and 55-200 vs. just one 18-200 lens?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

Are there advantages to having an 18-55 kit lens plus a separate 55-200 versus one that's "all in one" like 18-200? Is it just that the convenience of having "all in one" would cost you more?

As the two lengths get further apart, quality is lost.

there's a whole bunch of ridiculously technical explanations....but the bottom line is that the greater the focal range, the more you sacrifice image quality. other factors can include (but are not limited to) OEM -vs- third party quality control, consumer -vs- "pro" lens build, and the actual materials that go into higher quality lenses as far as glass and casings go.

I've actually just been researching this myself as I decided to keep my 18-55 kit lens and add a 55-300 or 70-300 to it soon. The benefits of this are:

1. Although you have to swap lenses, the two separate lenses are much lighter individually and thus easier to carry on camera. Some complain that the 18-300 is heavy to have on the camera all the time.
2. It will be much cheaper to keep the two separate lenses, as the 55-200 or 55-300 is a fraction of the cost of a 18-200 or 18-300 all in one, and
3. Most generally agree that having two separate lenses is better for image quality.

Hope this helps.

Hi.

Are there advantages to having an 18-55 kit lens plus a separate 55-200 versus one that's "all in one" like 18-200? Is it just that the convenience of having "all in one" would cost you more?

Yes

You really do not want to have a zoom lens that is greater than about 3x it's lower focal length. So if you desire the low end of the zoom to be 18mm, then the high end of the zoom should not be greater than about 54mm.

When you get into a "super zoom" like a 18-200 it will not be sharp through it full range. That is why you may have seen the suggested "trinity" of lenses.

It is also not a great idea, if you can afford it, to purchase a variable zoom lens such as a 18-200 f3.5-5.6 when you can purchase a fixed aperture zoom such as a 70-200 f4 or 2.8

Not much advantage to having the range split into two lenses, and multiple advantages to having 18 to 200mm in one lens... Nikon 18-200mm VR II

It is no longer 1990...superzooms are fine for all the crop-frame Nikons. Shoot at f/8...same as a pro-grade lens...all the whinging and whining about how dreadful superzooms are...if you're shooting an APS-C body of 16 MP or less, any modern Nikkor zoom lens is at least "adequate" to "good". Again...this isn't 1977, nor 1987, nor is it 1990...

save that it's cheaper, especially if I purchase the D5100 that already has the 18-55, but I think it would be kind of a pain to have to keep swapping lens for road trip photography, but ..... oh well ...

I'm a big fan of super zooms... if used for their intended purpose. I've traveled around the world with the (old) Nikon 28-200mm G and the (now old) Nikon 18-200mm VRII. I've never regretted not taking more lenses with me when i get back from each trip.

I also like using the 18-200mm for family party's, taking pictures of the kids being goofy or even the occasional portrait. Before i had better glass i even used it to shoot my kids sports.

In my opinion.. having owned and used the Nikon 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 18-200VRII... The only thing you loose by getting the 18-200mm is money. I found the Image quality the same at 200mm with both lenses (55-200 & 18-200). You get slightly more barrel distortion at 18mm on the 18-200mm then the 18-55 but you REALLY have to look to notice. Also, the 18-200mm VRII is built better then the 'kit' lenses.

Lots of people on forums bash SuperZooms because they are 'not pro' lenses... yet it has 800 reviews @ B&H with a 4.5 out of 5 raiting..230 reviews on Amazon with 4.5 out of 5 raiting...

It's not a bad lens.

Here is my 18-200mm doing what it does best.. Just taking pictures.
1/400 | f/9 | 250 iso | 48mm
18-200.jpg

Last edited:
save that it's cheaper, especially if I purchase the D5100 that already has the 18-55, but I think it would be kind of a pain to have to keep swapping lens for road trip photography, but ..... oh well ...

Hi

If your only go to use them for web or prints (4x6) for family, then cheaper variable aperture supper zoom will be fine.

If your going to blow them up to 16 x 20" I would not use the supper zoom for that.

Most reactions

Back