bhoskins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am shooting at a football match this evening and was wondering what ISO should I shoot at? The match will be under lights and I will be shooting at around 8:30.

Thanks,

Ben

The lowest ISO you can that will allow you to achieve at least a 1/125 shutter speed which will be the lowest you can go and be reasonably assured of freezing the action (ideally you would want 1/200+ but I'm not sure that will be achievable).

I'm not familiar with the Canon lenses you list, so I don't know what their maximum aperture is, but you'll like be having to shoot wide-open, or nearly so. Also make sure you take a couple of test images to choose the correct white balance, esp. if you're not shooting RAW. Good luck.

Well, footy lights are kinda bright... so you won't need to crank ISO up that much... I'd go manual and close up meter off the grass before the match starts: test shot - check histogram, adust so that you have a decent wide aperture and a fast enough shutter speed (and adjust ISO as necessary) until your histogram is reading to the right then fire away for the next 90 minutes - shouldn't be any need to re-meter since the light is gonna be the same all night, but no harm in checking your histogram every 20 shots or so...
Some of the members here like to use Av with a widish aperture and just let the shutter look after itself - but in lights as bright as footy matches I prefer to use M and test shots as above.. like I say, not as if the light ever changes during the match...
Jedo

Okay thanks for the replies

tirediron, I will be using my sigma for the game tonight and that has a max aperture of f2.8.

Jedo; when you say meter, do you mean as in metering?

Thanks

Ben

Most reactions

New Topics

Back