Advice on a beginners' DSLR model

Deksel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I suppose threads like this pop up all the time, but I don't want to (ab)use someone else's thread.

I've been making pictures for several years with a practically antique Canon Ixus 300 and I've been getting frustrated with the limited possibilities it offers. I was thinking about the Canon EOS 1000D, which I can pick up for €450, and I'd like to know if this would be a good choice. I'd also like to hear which other models would be best for someone to start with DSLR.
I mostly make pictures of inanimate objects, buildings, textures... (check examples here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1456712#post1456712 ) It's important for me I can make pictures in circumstances with low light (something I've often been unable to with my current camera) and that I can have close detail.

Thanks in advance

The way I would decide which camera to buy:

-Set a budget for camera+lens+accessories than you need (memory card, flash, extra-battery, bag, tripod... whatever)
-Search the Internet and make a list of all the dSLR that fit in your budget
-Go to a camera store and handle all the cameras from the list to see which fits the best in your hands

In terms of image quality, all entry dSLRs are very similar and also offer very similar features. The Canon EOS 1000D is as good as any other similar camera from another brand. If you like the ergonomics, you cannot go wrong.

My advice: buy a 50mm f1.8 lens, a decent tripod, and spend whatever's left over on the camera body. Use it for a while, and then decide which 2nd lens to get.

The 50mm f1.8 lens is the ONLY inexpensive lens you can buy that you won't eventually end up selling for a better one.

I mostly make pictures of inanimate objects, buildings, textures...

How important is autofocus to you? Would you consider manual focus lenses? I'm guessing it is not that important considering you are taking pictures of inanimate objects.

For me... on that type of budget, I'd go with Pentax K10D + kit zoom lens + a couple K-mount SMC manual Takumars of your choice of focal length; perhaps a 24mm or 28mm for those architectural shots. You'll also get inbody image stabilization, a bright penta-prism (as opposed to penta-mirror) viewfinder, and weather sealing.

Canon is great (I shoot with Canon) but lenses can be more expensive and they are not compatible with the older (but still optically good) FD lenses. You simply cannot tap into the rich selection of older Canon FD lenses at rock bottom prices. IMO, Canon's L lenses are wonderful but their consumer line of glass are less "bang for the buck". There are exceptions as posted 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, and the 100mm f/2.8 macro BUT you will simply be spending beyond your budget. The 50mm f/1.8 is most likely too long on a crop sensored camera for buildings etc.

Nikon bodies are also backwards compatible with older manual lenses but still more expensive than the K-mounts. There are simply more nikon shooters out there to compete with for used selection of glass.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back