Advice please: D90 or D200?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by anldyxp_gd3, Jun 16, 2009.

1. anldyxp_gd3

anldyxp_gd3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys! I'm not on this forum very much, and sorry if this has been asked before. But I've become very fond of photography within the past few months. And I needed some advice on a camera upgrade. Ive been out of school for 2 years but im starting again as a Photocomm major(i was business before). I also do alot of contemporary/architectural photography when im not at work. So what would you guys suggest I get if i am serious about photography in the long run(also to compensate for my college major)? The D200 is much cheaper than the D90 right now. I do not have more to spend than what the D90 cost though. But the D90 is still a begginer/advanced camera though right? but the D90 does have alot to offer. I'm currently shooting with a D40 w/ 18-55mm kit lens, 55-200mm, and the 35mm 1.8. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks again!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Been there, done that... D90!

I just love the camera... For what it's worth, I went from a D40 to a D80 to a D200 to a D90.

Save yourself the extra steps and just go for it :D

3. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i agree with the D90

4. Omitinibu

Omitinibu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    id actually say go with the d5000.. but thats just my preference of settings.. so go with the crowd n get the d90..

Joe

5. anldyxp_gd3

anldyxp_gd3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cool. Thank you guys so much!

6. anldyxp_gd3

anldyxp_gd3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, actually my friend just got a D5000 after i started getting into photography. Its pretty nice actually. But I want something more capable in the long run and something that fits bigger in the hand:mrgreen:

7. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90.....and the D5000 suggestion??? No. If you ever want to explore the world of wireless/off camera flash (and every Nikon user should want to use CLS), then you need the D90. Being able to fire my flash wirelessly while retaining TTL is a huge bonus that I honestly couldn't live without. D5000 lacks that among many other features that the D90 has.

D90 over D200 though. If BB still had them at $599 I'd probably recommend the D200....I'm wishing I would have been able to afford a D200 when they had that deal to use for all the wedding and portraits so I could save the mileage on my D90.

8. itznfb

itznfb TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the D5000 is not worth it's price tag. it's a marketing gimick for soccer moms.

they don't :(

9. harrison

harrison TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just upgraded myself and went D200. Personally I did it for the dedicated buttons versus going through menus to change settings. The large size and weight also feels great in my hands, and I dont use all of the "girly man" auto settings. Adorama has an E+ rated D200 for $599 right now. Thats what I bought earlier last week, came to my door in 2 days.

25235 Nikon D200 10.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Body

10. fast1

fast1 TPF Noob!

go for the d90, you won't go wrong with that.[​IMG]

11. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D90 has all the dedicated buttons as well (ISO, WB, Metering, Qual, AF, Exposure, etc) but the high ISO performance blows the D200 out of the water. I was afraid to take the D80 and D200 past 800 ISO, with the D90 I have no fear of 3200 ISO and can push it farther if I need to.

Plus there's video, which I personally use and love.

I will say the D200 is a rock solid camera, and for well lit conditions it's a master of it's domain.

12. Lunchbox

Lunchbox TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love my d200