Age Excuses (revised and my point)

photo28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other thread led to hell... my point was missed... nothing went well...
Here it is:
I think it's stupid how people put ages in their posts because:
Kid's who post get many responses on the lines of "very nice for your age, keep it up" even if the photo sucks, or can use improvements; there isn't one photo out there that can't use some sort of improvement to it. Nothing is perfect.
Now here's the main point:
Why tell kids their photos are good without any sort of advice. Yes, kids love compliments and need lots of confidence, BUT, saying just one thing won't help them, and kids want to be the best and get better, and complimenting with no advice is stupid, isnt it? Maybe they'll be happy after they see the comment, but once they enter the photo into a contest and realize they need a lot better stuff, they may think they plain out suck and quit (many kids don't hesitate to quit things... there are many things out there for them)
I'm sure everyone here would like to post a photo and get hundreds of replies in minutes saying BEAUTIFUL!... but you don't just take amazing shot's like that, it take's hundreds of photos and hundreds and thousands of comments and pieces of advice.
What professional hasn't gotten (and went through lots of) advice and critiqued on their (very many) shots? It takes time to become good, so if the kid's start young they learn more and have a better start and an edge on many others.
Everyone else's opinions and advice is absolutely needed for you to improve. These kids have potential, so why not give them the right advice and make them better?

Anyway, enough with this...
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on

Now THAT was worded 100% better than your first rant thread on this :lol:

:lmao:
I thought this time with a clear head... I apologize for the first one... :lol:

I didnt read the OT but I think I get an idea what it's about :p

Meh, I still don't agree. THe people who withhold real advice because of someone's age are one of two things:

1) too rude in general. If you don't think you can give constructive advice without beating someone down, you need to rethink.

2) lacking in any real insight anyways. The people who have something to say will say it, those who don't at least won't give a bunch of bull.

I don't venture into the galleries much anymore, but when I do, I always give very in depth critique (read: essays), but in a way that wouldn't upset someone, 5-99 years old. It's possible, and the fault doesn't lie in the young photographer, but the people responding. Fine, so it's unnecessary, but it's a product of the fact: they're young!

I do agree, though, that this was much better thought out. We have a real debate going now, and I love those.

Meh, I still don't agree. THe people who withhold real advice because of someone's age are one of two things:

1) too rude in general. If you don't think you can give constructive advice without beating someone down, you need to rethink.

2) lacking in any real insight anyways. The people who have something to say will say it, those who don't at least won't give a bunch of bull.

I don't venture into the galleries much anymore, but when I do, I always give very in depth critique (read: essays), but in a way that wouldn't upset someone, 5-99 years old. It's possible, and the fault doesn't lie in the young photographer, but the people responding. Fine, so it's unnecessary, but it's a product of the fact: they're young!

I do agree, though, that this was much better thought out. We have a real debate going now, and I love those.

+1 to all that.
I don't mind if a person lists their age or not, though at times it is good to list ones age if they are yonger for a few reasons (depending on age).

1) Language used - though like JWD I try to use a good and understandable language when I post and I tend to also keep things at indepth as I can; it can help when one knows that they are speaking directly to a younger audience.

2) Gear and cost - I do quite a bit of warhammer and so I am well aware that whilst many adults have jobs and income to spend on hobbies, youngesters generally don't. This is important to note at times since they might not have the budgets for even simple things like filters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back