Agent Drex Buy a flash!

A new buddy of mine, Jon Heller, mentioned to me about off-camera slave flashes. He also turned me on to the strobist blog. So that is indeed what I'll need to look into so I can get "out of the parking lot". I guess I'll be looking into getting a Nikon D90. Maybe two of them, yeah two. Camera A and B since it has video capabilities. Thanks for the suggestion idiot.

However, video is only over-rated if you don't want to make films. I'm trying to learn photography, so when I get behind a video camera I can make good looking films. That's my true passion. So if I can get a good video camera for cheaper than the Canon SL2, I'll be happy. The D90 apparently will be close. It has the ability to use different lenses, has a lot of manual features and will save a little bit of money over buying two SL2s.

if you want to make films...look at a video camera.

if memory serves me...the video "feature" of the d90 does not autofocus.

But since it has removable lenses, it should have manual focus, correct? I wouldn't want it to be auto-focusing anyhow. For a video camera I would really like the Canon SL2 like I mentioned, or a Panavision Phantom (wish I had the cash for either). Don't want a cheap camcorder. The D90 seems to be, from the videos I've been watching on youtube created with the D90, the camera that would be most likely to be useable for what I need. Something to practice shots with AND take video. But I am open to other suggestions as well.

Last edited:
fair enough! :D

is the quality of the vid off of a d90 better than that of "cheap camcorders"?
by cheap camcorders im refering to the ones that shoot hd in the 700-1200 range...

i dont know much about video.

You must be reading something wrong there - 4.9FPS is its stills shooting speed not its video I think - 4.9FPs would be very jerky and pointless video shooting ;)

Most reactions

Back