AHH! Where to begin...

bmrust

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rust-media.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out shooting some photos today (of a cruise ship) and a guy approached me and asked if I was a photographer. I am currently a student and I bought my first DSLR less than a month ago... I replied "I'm not a professional, but I'm trying to get experience so that I might be able to be professional someday" or something like that. I was trying to express that I am NOT a professional, but I am always looking to take on new things.

OK... so then he said that he was looking to get "portfolio" shots done. He talked about how he needed certain shots, some without a shirt, some (this is a DIRECT quote) "all shaved up".

He mentioned that other photographers quoted him $1000 to do the shoot.

I did not have any business cards on me (cause im a student, NOT professional), but I gave him my number and told him I would like to talk to him in more detail about what he needs. This was just today, so he has not called yet.

Finally, here's my questions...

1. What is a "portfolio" shoot typically? He seemed like a typical "surfer dude" who was probably trying to get into acting, or modeling.

2. Please see my list of gear below (note, no lights). Is there anything I should look into buying (if this goes anywhere), or even just renting, that I don't have.

3. What do I charge him, and what am I charging for? Of course it depends on what they want or need... but from what I've been reading, giving them a disc with all of the files on it is a BIG no-no. But being that I'm brand new to this, I'm really at a loss.

This might not grow into anything, but if it does, I would like to be a little more prepared when he calls.

Thanks to anyone with advice.

I would be weary of what he means by "all shaved up" .....

but that's just because I've been approached a few times via email from guys wanting to do not so artistic nudes for them to have to be able to post on adult personals and stuff....ugh no thanks

yea, that one kinda scared me...

although, i think he was pointing to his chest when he said it... i was looking through my viewfinder trying to get some pictures taken, not really sure what he pointed at....

The questions that you are asking of us are really important to the way that YOU do business. Not us. I say charge $100.00 per hour. Wether or not that suits your experience or business plan is another story. The key is to figure out what it costs you to click the shutter, process the image and then deliver the image. You should also be aware of distribution of the image and the rights and print sales.

I know this is your first shoot or whatever, but please take a moment and understand the biz.

Love & Bass

Thanks for the reply... but I guess I'm trying to understand "the biz" by asking questions.

I'm not asking for rock solid answers, either. Just wanting some suggestions and helpful hints for someone who is brand new to this sort of thing.

You tell him that you're not a professional, and he immediately tells you that he needs a portfolio with certain shots .... Mentioned $1000 ... My gut instinct sz to stay away from this guy - continue practicing - and get some good experience... See where it takes you a little later ... Just my opinion...;)

r

I think you're going to end up "all shaved up" if you're not careful. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

It just sounds a bit sketchy unless he is only looking for something for much less money.

Personally, I feel it is not a good idea that after 1 month with a DSLR to accept a paid job of this callibre.
If he calls you, refer him to another Photographer who is experienced in this profession.
To do a Portfolio shoot your typically taking 3 lights
(one to light the background evenly, one to light the subject's side or front, and one over the subjects head to light the top of him and make his shadow on the floor..)
Then you need the accessories for the lights (Gels, Beauty dish's Honey combs etc..)
And you need a backdrop e.g. Muslim 12x15m, with a support (both coming in around £150 - 200
Then you need to know how to work with Aperture (so you dont over expose the subject with the lights)
in the end it isn't an easy process for a newbie...
Just give him some tips on looking for a photographer to do it.
Some photographers do Portrait shoots for about £70 all the way up to and past £2000

I would highly suggest you stay away from this person. First of all you have no contract experience. Really don't have the propper equipment, although you can get it. But the fact is, even if he is not a weirdo, there are other "catches" that you need to be aware of on the business side before you go into paid work.

Thanks for all the replies... I was kind of feeling the same way about this job, and I don't want to get in over my head right away.

If he calls, I will definitely refer him to someone else.

Thanks again!

Turning down paid work is a good start to any business.

Personally I have screwed myself on more then one client. Not like I am proud of it, but I have to say that I learned so much that the experience turned out to be invaluable. Take your time figure out a business model. If you are always willing to take on new things then do it. Throw caution to the wind.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
Eh.. I would say go for it. Whats the worst that could happen. Wind up with a camera full of shots of a naked dude ****er and all. LOL
I think the guy probably does want more than the usual type photos. While some people are ok with taking nude, me I am not. I wont do it. If you want to that is fine but no the less. Don't run from business without all the facts. You are basing all you information on assumptions. If you base your business on assumptions you will fail. Truth be told, you can take a simple portfolio shot with a two light setup and a reflector or two. Granted I do not think that having a camera for a month is any where enough time to be good enough to be able to be paid to shoot, I will say that we know nothing of your experience with a P&S or 35mm. I shot with a 35mm for 10 years and then got familiar with a P&S then got a dslr. So who knows. You may be good enough to shoot it.

Good luck either way.

Most reactions

Back