Airshow pics c&c

camera shy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a selection of the ones I took last Saturday.

First time out with my new camera, Panasonic FZ38 so I was like a rabbit in the headlights!

Haven't really tried playing with them yet but do you think the images are good enough to work with? Only thing I have done is to crop them using a basic Dell package.

What do you all think? Perhaps you can provide critique and editing tips/images of your own.

Thick skin so feel free to slate them!

Cheers.

See what I mean, lol.

So how do I post images properly?

What should my URL show?

read the thread. it tells you how to post without paying

Okay, take two, lol.

Took the camera settings and posted those as well.

P1000097.jpg

F5.0, 1/640, +1 Exp, ISO 80

P1000725.jpg

F3.7, 1/800, +2/3 Exp, ISO 200

P1010128.jpg

F7.1, 1/1000, +1/3 Exp, ISO 200

P1000585.jpg

F8.0, 1/640, +2/3 Exp, ISO 200

P1010390.jpg

F5.0, 1/1000, 0 Exp, ISO 100

P1010263.jpg

F4.4, 1/1000, 0 Exp, ISO 100

I'll get my excuses out of the way early and say it's really difficult playing with the settings when the schedule is so busy and the jets are so fast!
I was also struggling using the LCD display in the bright sunlight and had to switch to the viewfinder for virtually all of the shots.

Any good?

1 and 2 I could do without. Too much plane. When taking a picture of an object in motion- give the object either somewhere to go, or somewhere to have been. Both of those shots might as well have been of a plane on the ground static.

Now the others... They are nice shots, minor focal issues but that is to be expected when taking photos of fast moving planes over a mile away. Your last picture posted would be my fav, very nicely done.

just a tip... I would not have gone below f/8 for any of these shots.

p!nK

They're boring, but I'm biased: I think most airshow photographs are boring because, like fireworks, they usually have no context or environment other than blue sky/clouds.

I dunno, maybe playing with shutter speed and deliberately adding motion blur could spice these up more. It'd be something different, at least.

1. Eww the noise, too much crop I am sure
2. Sky is too blown out
3. Focus is off
4. Probably the best of the bunch, I am not sure if focus is 100% though. May want to add a little sharpening here and it may turn out.
5. Most interesting shot, but still out of focus
6. I like but still oof

Thanks for the comments. I have a couple of other questions now.

1) Regarding the F8.0 comment I believe I selected the camera's shutter priority settings and therefore the aperture was selected automatically.
Are you saying that I should use the programme AE mode and choose F8 all the time with a desired shutter speed depending on the type of aircraft I am shooting?

2) What editing techniques can I use to sharpen up the images as best I can?

Thanks.

Depending on the program you use to convert from RAW to jpeg, it should allow you to "sharpen" the file more when you are converting. I know Lightroom and Photoshop do that, don't remember if DPP does.

Thanks for the comments. I have a couple of other questions now.

1) Regarding the F8.0 comment I believe I selected the camera's shutter priority settings and therefore the aperture was selected automatically.
Are you saying that I should use the programme AE mode and choose F8 all the time with a desired shutter speed depending on the type of aircraft I am shooting?

Shooting in broad daylight, shutter speeds will always be high enough to stop motion- so unless you are looking to do something artistic along the lines of dragging the shutter and panning, I would shoot in aperture priority mode choosing something f/8 or greater for a nice deep DOF and keeping within most lenses sharp range.

Here is an example of dragging the shutter and panning. Narrow aperture (higher f/number), low shutter speed along with camera movement...
4680492508_3704b5abcf_b.jpg

Here is stop motion. Wider aperture (lower f/number), high shutter speed no camera movement.
4680499528_1e1ec3465a_b.jpg

2) What editing techniques can I use to sharpen up the images as best I can?

Thanks.

Can't fix blurry. But unsharp mask is always your best bet on sharpening.

p!nK

Pink.

I'm a little confused by your comments. My camera only goes up to f/8 but when referring to your second picture you mention using a lower f number. I thought you indicated earlier not to shoot less than f/8.

?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back