Alas - a new lens is needed

IlSan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, at long long last I have decided to get a new lens. Why? Hmm - simply the fact, that my hobby needs some new equipment...

Ok, bottom line is, that I want to get more serious with urban / photojournalism and would really appreaciate some feedback on a lens that is compatible with the Sony A700.

So...open to any suggestions, thanks in advance :sexywink:

Well - the 50mm has sadly passed on to lens heaven... got damaged during the last shoot as a rather large coconut hit it - I know, the odds are like what - infinity to 1, but yet, there it was.

And the 70-200mm I don't know, it does work, but yeah, wider angle would be good, yet still some zoom.

Was considering a 18-55mm - but as I said, anything outside the studio for me is quite new ground...what you think about an 18-55mm for urban / photojournalisitc work?

Well - the 50mm has sadly passed on to lens heaven... got damaged during the last shoot as a rather large coconut hit it - I know, the odds are like what - infinity to 1, but yet, there it was.
Wow! That's quite a story. Were you wearing a hard-hat in the same area that your lens was hanging out?

I wish, that might have deflected the gravitial attack on my lens.
I had the camera on my tripod, shot all set up and then this idiot of lighting assistant (was hired by the client...not sure why) trips over one of the cable and tears down half the set.
Of course, I walk over to help get it up again, and all of a sudden all I hear is this terrifying crash - which was the coconut hitting my lens (lucky the tripod was ankered in the sand, otherwise my camera might have taken some serious damage as well)...*sigh* and thus, my beloved 50mm was no more.

Tried having it fixed back home, but the guy in my usual photo shop just compared my lens to a egg that was dropped from the Empire State Building...not much left ey :grumpy:

You might want to look into a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro. It's an incrediably sharp lens and not too expensive.

Thanks a lot for your input ;)

Will the Tamron fit a Sony A-mount?

That Sigma 17-70mm sounds great, gonna have a look at it this weekend. ;)

Will the Tamron fit a Sony A-mount?
It will if you get the version made for Minolta Maxxum and Sony α DSLRs.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm-Aspherical-Minolta-Digital/dp/B000EXOXUQ/"]Amazon[/ame]

Adorama
B&H Photo Video
are all selling the Tamron Di-II 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for the same price.

You can also find the Sigma DC 18-50mm f/2.8 at the same e-tailers.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-50mm-Aspherical-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000JENLKI/"]Amazon[/ame]

Adorama
B&H Photo Video

Thanks a lot for the info ;) :thumbup:

i've heard the zeiss 16-80 is a good lens.

Zeiss - yes, they are good - not sure though it fits into the budget at the moment :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back