Alevel photography - college

among_the_living

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have finally got to take Alevel photography and the first year course atleast is based on Film photography n such, so i will need a 35mm SLR.

I was looking at a canon A1 or a minolta X700 as from what ive used the older types seem to produce better images, yet others say i should go for something along the lines of a canon rebel or a nikon F100 and such.

I NEED HELP PLEASE.

among_the_living said:
as from what ive used the older types seem to produce better images

No film camera will produce a better image than any other. The camera is just a light tight box. It's up to you to make the picture work.

Any 35mm SLR camera will be good for the class. If you think you will be continuing on with photography, then it would make sense to buy a camera that you can continue to use, and add accessories to. This is why people recommend Canon and Nikon. They are two of the most popular companies today, with huge lense and accessory selections available. That doesn't mean you can't do well with Minolta or Pentax either.

Look for something used at a local shop. Look for a camera and 50mm lens to start with. As you learn more about photography, you'll know what you want to get next.

Digital Matt is right about good photographs come from the photographer. With that said, there is a difference in lenses.

Film cameras are just a light tight film holder. Good lenses make life easier. If you can afford it try and find an older Nikon and some good Nikor lenses. IMHO Nikon has for many years been the leader in lens quailty. A 50mm f1.2 would be an excelent beginning and if you go for the slightly older ( no auto focus) stuff the prices should be pretty good in a camera shop that handles used equipment. If you don't mind going totaly manual an F2 would be excellent. Keep in mind houwever it is a total manual camera with just and exposure meter inside the viewfinder.

the older model pentax's are good cameras as well. At the time they were made, the glass was second only to Nikon (some say otherwise...but i dont know) And I think old pentax's are cheaper then Nikons.
Additionally, if you get an old Pentax, you can find fully manual ones which mean unlimited shutter time.

among_the_living said:
I have finally got to take Alevel photography and the first year course atleast is based on Film photography n such, so i will need a 35mm SLR.

I was looking at a canon A1 or a minolta X700 as from what ive used the older types seem to produce better images, yet others say i should go for something along the lines of a canon rebel or a nikon F100 and such.

I NEED HELP PLEASE.

My daughter just started attending a beginning photography course this past weekend. She also needed a 35mm. I got her a Pentax ZX-M, which is a manual exposure camera, and an old Pentax 50 mm f1.7 lens to go with it. She found the camera instructions easy and fast to learn for a newbie. And the manual focus lens (bought used) is excellent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back