Alexis- Black and White Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm attempting to break my habit of over-retouching my portraits. I did a very minimal amount of skin retouching to these.

Captured in natural light.

EOS 5D MKI
135mm @f/2
1/400th sec
ISO 800
_mg_3600_2_by_danostergren-d8vjmto.jpg

_mg_3599_by_danostergren-d8vf77d.jpg

Last edited:
Very Very Nice Dan. I love they way you use natural light to your advantage,well done.

Not a pro at portraits. But this looks really good to me. Little white fuzzy line on the back of her shoulder (maybe from the sweater?) and the sweater wrinkle in the bottom right hand corner seems a strange bubble to her back.. Other than that, minor (maybe petty) things. I really cant find anything particularly wrong with it. Maybe a little different less of a twist or hair on this side would hide that neck wrinkle? Sweater collar just a little higher? Either way. nice work.

Lovely light. For me the skin texture on the face is a bit overdone, but otherwise spot on.

Not a pro at portraits. But this looks really good to me. Little white fuzzy line on the back of her shoulder (maybe from the sweater?) and the sweater wrinkle in the bottom right hand corner seems a strange bubble to her back.. Other than that, minor (maybe petty) things. I really cant find anything particularly wrong with it. Maybe a little different less of a twist or hair on this side would hide that neck wrinkle? Sweater collar just a little higher? Either way. nice work.
Not seeing the fuzzy line, but I do see what you mean about the crease in her neck and the wrinkle; I'll see if I can do something about it.
Lovely light. For me the skin texture on the face is a bit overdone, but otherwise spot on.
Thank you. I agree, I'm going to take this one back into photoshop and make some adjustments. It's her actual skin texture, but I may have over-sharpened.

Your work makes me wonder why anyone ever needs lighting!:Hail.sml::Hail.sml::Hail.sml:

Great photographer+Beautiful model= A incredible photo!!!:headbang:

Your work makes me wonder why anyone ever needs lighting!:Hail.sml::Hail.sml::Hail.sml:

Hahaha, thank you. I've actually been considering investing in studio lighting. Just a single light is all I think I'll need, maybe two.

Hahaha, thank you. I've actually been considering investing in studio lighting. Just a single light is all I think I'll need, maybe two.
Just for some fill light, in darker locations?
Do you use reflectors in your natural light work?

Just for some fill light, in darker locations?
Do you use reflectors in your natural light work?
Definitely not for fill, lol. I'm envisioning some indoor shots, and rather than having to find the right window I want to just make the perfect lighting myself.

I do use reflectors, but very seldomly.

I updated the first post with a new photo. I'm going to re-edit the first one as well.

Holy batman, super duper work man! Love your stuff! Liked your page on Facebook! For what it's worth, I like the skin the way it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back