Already did the work - the client wants their money back!

Ok, verbal agreement = contract. Got it. Now, tell me how that doesn't get into a he said/she said mess.

I guess we were replying at the same time. I agree 100%

Hope I won't sound like a broken record but thing should be in WRITING. Also if you are a member of PPA, they cover complaints like that w/ their lawyers.
Good Luck

I just google serached your screen name and i think i found some of your work. Is this your website and Facebook? If so, I am not all that suprised that they were unhappy with your photos. Your consistency don't seem to be quite there. Some pictures are ok and other are not ok. I also notice that you have a lot of unedited work on your Facebook exc. It's just my opinion, but i would never do that as i would want clients to know what the finished product would look like.

Not trying to flame you, just trying to give you some honest feedback. You seem to really enjoy taking photographs for people but i think you need to work on your photography and editing basics. I think using this forum could be a nice tool for elevating your work :)

Rona Philpott Photography - Local Business - Mohave Valley, AZ | Facebook

Website
Home

I searched and I saw it too, but just didn't want to post it publicly. I am sure other members found it as well. Her username links with her name, twitter, facebook, website, etc.

Don't mean to be rude but the pictures are not amazing but then again if the client had previously looked at your portfolio, they should have know what they were getting.

I am an attorney. If you verbally agree, I will represent you in small claims court. Just send me $1,000 (USD) and we'll sue the pants off this bi tch!

The question for the photographer is.. Do you give the money back and let the situation die or do you keep the money and have the customer become very vocal to all of her friends, in life and on facebook, about how poor the photos were.

Me, I try to always remain professional. My name means more to me than the money from one shoot. I would give the money back with the clear understanding that without payment and a signed release, that the original images belong to me, that after the refund she has NO rights to use or print said images.

If the shots were good, as you stated, you will not be out completely because you can use the photos for your portfolio.

how far is Mohave Valley from Phoenix?
i'm visiting my brother in a few weeks. you can just pay me then..

The question for the photographer is.. Do you give the money back and let the situation die or do you keep the money

This is America bro, we dont give **** back... we sue!!

fyi - hit me up if you need some representation too ;)

I had a look at the photos on the website and won't say anything negative against any of the photos, they speak for themselves.

I enjoyed the photo restoration though, it was almost impossible to see the 5 hours of work making it look like it had been restored, except you can see where all the repairs were made. Why do people that obviously don't have the skills to restore photos claim to be able to do it? I don't really need an answer to that question, the answer is because photoshop has given them the right to say they can. I suppose it's the same people that claim to be photographers when they don't have the skills.

Kerbouchard said:

"The OP's 'client' paid the OP for Senior Portraits. They didn't like those portraits, aren't going to use those portraits, and then went and paid another photographer to take their senior portraits. The OP doesn't have a contract. The OP has a verbal agreement in which I'm sure the words 'money for senior portraits' was probably said at least once."

I'm an attorney and I assure you the OP most CERTAINLY has a contract. Only a layperson would suggest that every contract must be in writing. Simply not true.

Thank you.

I've been shooting senior portraits for 35 years and have NEVER asked anyone to sign a contract. In the first place, most would not be enforceable as many seniors are minors when the arrangement is made.

More important, I'm always amazed to hear a photographer's first reaction to a dissatisfied customer is, "Do I still get paid?"

I've had disappointed clients. My gut reaction is, "What can I do for you now? More photography? Refund?" I sure don't expect (or want) anyone to pay me for something they don't like. If anything, I feel I owe them for wasting their time.

I guarantee satisfaction. I always have. I will not ask anybody to risk their time and money with me if they have to wonder if I can get the job done to their satisfaction.

-Pete

Kerbouchard said:

"The OP's 'client' paid the OP for Senior Portraits. They didn't like those portraits, aren't going to use those portraits, and then went and paid another photographer to take their senior portraits. The OP doesn't have a contract. The OP has a verbal agreement in which I'm sure the words 'money for senior portraits' was probably said at least once."

I'm an attorney and I assure you the OP most CERTAINLY has a contract. Only a layperson would suggest that every contract must be in writing. Simply not true.

Thank you.

I've been shooting senior portraits for 35 years and have NEVER asked anyone to sign a contract. In the first place, most would not be enforceable as many seniors are minors when the arrangement is made.

More important, I'm always amazed to hear a photographer's first reaction to a dissatisfied customer is, "Do I still get paid?"

I've had disappointed clients. My gut reaction is, "What can I do for you now? More photography? Refund?" I sure don't expect (or want) anyone to pay me for something they don't like. If anything, I feel I owe them for wasting their time.

I guarantee satisfaction. I always have. I will not ask anybody to risk their time and money with me if they have to wonder if I can get the job done to their satisfaction.

-Pete

You are also handling this completely different and have more experience than the OP. Having been doing it for 35 years, I'm sure you have a reputation and people come to you based on that. You don't accept money unless the client is satisfied and probably produce superior work.

I'm not thinking you are in the same situation as the OP. The OP wants their client to pay for photos that they aren't happy with, the client has asked for a refund, the OP thinks the client is at fault, the client thinks the OP is at fault, and there is no written contract. It's a mess.

From what it sounds like, you wouldn't put yourself in this situation to start with, so a contract outlining what happens if it does would be kind of pointless.

From what it sounds like, you wouldn't put yourself in this situation to start with...

Really, we all put ourselves in this position every time we take on a job. Every customer has particular needs and wants, and we accept the challenge to meet them in exchange for payment.

Each of us has to realize we don't hit a home run every time at bat, but we are expected to get on base. Occasionally, we whiff out. We should stand ready to be fully accountable for that event when it does happen.

-Pete

I'm not a professional photographer but personally I would give the money back even though you did the work. The customer is always right! If they aren't using them and they paid another person to take pictures then they should get their money back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back