"" ALTERING A STYLE ? ""

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok Hi Folks, Lets set this up here... I shoot rural scenes, nostalgia/ or lets just say , Country Living....
Now these two shots are just a little different in style, and thats why I say , " Altering A Style"" my usual would be Color, of a scene as these and the more the better... but with these two, they have a sort of Monochrome look, ... not selective color, but shot in color, but to use little color...

Monochrome is the use of one color, but to show the one color in different shades.... This is why I say these are a SORT of monochrome, only highlighting little color, and not the same shade either...

Ok before I confuse you , as well as myself,

Do you think these shots work with Very little color???

As always, any critique on the photos over and beyond the question, always welcomed!!

Both shots taken this last winter...

!st shot little color in wood on barn, and red brush... again also here , the power of red in a photo, red is an instant eye magnet, and must always be placed well in a frame..

barnsiding.jpg

Second shot portrays color in pumpkins and barn siding...

fourseason1.jpg

Yes, you want to capture the stark look of winter, and thats exactly what you did here in these photos, in addition to adding a splash of color to give it just enough life.

It definitely works in my opinion. Nice work as usual! :thumbup:

NJ

Thanks NJMAN.... your right, sometimes lack of color in the winter plays in your favor, nice to add touches... To most people , they may look at these and say , why not just go B+W??? but for me , I like the subtle touches in some shots..

Okay you want to alter your style try putting your talents to something totally out of character. Find yourself some simple item laying about, then shoot something grungy but interesting from it..... Now that would be a change in style.

That isn't meant to be rude, just a suggestion.

The 2nd shot is awesome. My only comment about the first shot is that my eye seems to be pulled towards the red bush at the bottom. I think it's just because that bit of red stands out from the rest of the shot but I looked at that first and then the building.

They're both good shots though.

Whether this is "a new style" for yourself or just "the style for colour photography determined by deep winter" is a question that I cannot answer for you, but I personally like the clarity of both the photos presented here, their contrasts, and - yes! - the presence of what little colour there was at the time. I think the colours add to the photos and the line of reddish shrubs is a welcome guide from the foreground of the photo towards the barn with is brigher brown parts right under the roof, so letting the eyes follow the colours, however subtle, helps me (I can happily report!) take in the whole photo and have my eyes wander around in circles. Not aimlessly so. Not in the "totally lost" way of wandering in circles, but in the exploring manner.

Which, so I understand, is good?

And the second is just nice. Solid photographic craftsmanship, well planned, framed, focused, exposed - again with the subtle colours helping it.
Yes, it MIGHT also have worked in b&w only, I would think it has the potential to also work without the colours, but pp work would need to be done even more carefully. (Although, but this is a remark you may well forget as soon as you have read it, I find the soft, limp, old, sunken pumpkins a tad ... ugh ... icky myself :pale: ---!)

:wink:

mysteryscribe... not really an altering as such, but a different type look.. just trying to add a few touches of color , but not overpowering... a sort of selective coloring thru the camera lol...

I hear ya on the exorcise , been there done that lol...

rmh.... Red is a very powerful color in any shot, and when visible it should be looked upon in a sense of where it goes into a frame... because as you say, it pulls the eyes naturally.... its like buying a new car, some colors bland or lets say blend in , and others jump out at you...

La foto... no not a new style, guess the title is misleading.,, I shoot a lot of rural scenes period, so just trying to do something as I say , with a little selective color thru the lens... its just a different look , hey thanks for the comments..

The only complaint I have with the first one is the blown highlight in the snow along the edge of the roof and again in the snow, bottom right foreground. There are similar spots in the 2nd one but it's not distracting like it is in the first one.

I know those highlights burn quick in snow... a polarizer might make the difference, assuming you didn't use one to begin with.

Most reactions

Back