Am I done yet? PP & general C&C

I actually like the buildings in the pic. Glad you straightened it a bit. I'm no pro but I would vote this a calendar worthy pic. :) (Thats one of my goals, to be put into a calendar. lol)

Thanks I agree regarding the buildings.

Bitter Jeweller and Derrel, both spotted a few problems.

The rocks and the water are the main part of the image and the buildings don't really belong in the shot. A slower shutterspeed on a tripod using srgb colour space and not Photoshop RGB would have produced better colour on the net. Photoshop RGB space may produce better colour but it does not convert well on web sites or to many printers. It is better to work in srgb.

As it stands now, the best solution would be to crop out the buildings and much of the shoreline and lighten the rocks to bring out more detail in postprocessing.

skieur

Thanks for the advice on the colour space, something I have not yet looked into.

I tried several shutter speeds and 2 seconds produced the best results at the time, long enough to mist, but not long enough for the next set of waves to completey cover the rocks, at 2 seconds this was definately not hand held (I wish).

I did not use a tripod for a couple of reasons, very windy evening, gusting to 30 knots, there was no room on the rock to set it up, I was perched on the very edge of rock about 50 feet above a similar scene, if the fall doesnt kill you the ocean will, I used my sandbag instead, rock solid, close to the ground, easy to recompose, and doesnt move in windy conditions at all.

Cropping the buildings out might work for a "stock shot" but this is not intended to be displayed like that, this is a locally identifiable scene, the shoreline and buildings help to tie in the local identity. Could crop a little more sky out perhaps.

Pretty awesome picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back