Am I good enough to make a career out of it? C&C!

Another quik suggestion...space your photos and number them. Makes it easier to refrence them with a critique.
You have a few nice shots in this series, decent quality. To many to go through 1 by 1 and critique...so I'll just say that I like the 2 with the ropes, the rest don't really do anything for me.
As far as going pro, of course you can...not now, but keep with it and study the ins and outs of photography and practice for several more years, then you might be ready to study business for a couple of years, and by that time maybe go pro.
It will take dedication and the ability to recieve negative feedback. So far it seems that each post you have made, you have become defensive if anyone has stated an opinion different than yours....thats going to happen when getting critiqued, and especially if you ever do become a pro. Need to loose that now, or else noone will want to critique your work, or give you advice because the attitude isn't worth it on here. There are thousands of photographers that can offer you alot of direction and advice, take advantage of that and just know that not everyone is going to praise your work to spare your feelings.
That being said, I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to seeing your progress in the future.

I agree with others, if you like to have more people give you constructive feedback, limit the number of pictures per post. For example, a experience photographer would like to give you honest feedback, he/she spend 3 or more minutes to study each photo. (unless you want other people just spend few seconds on your photos and give you a feed back of "Good or Bad" comment) Now you have 15 photos .. do you know how much time they need to spend? Do you think they want to spend that much time on one post? What if they do not want to spend that time ...... they may just skip the post. What if you only post 2 to 3 photos? See the differences? If you really like to get feedback from the pro, limit the number of pictures per post is actually better for you.

As for the feedback, sorry, I still consider myself a beginner. But I would like to suggest read more in composition. Since you are a art student, you may already know or going to learn that in art school.

Thank you all for the advice, and I will take it to heart and try to learn the best I can.

Not trying to be an a$$ but your photos don't really show any sign of quality. It's often referred to as "an eye" and I'm sorry but if those are the best you have from even 1 year of doing photography I would have to say you don't really have it. At least not yet.

Here is a list of books that will really make a difference for you in your photography. I listed them somewhat in the order I would suggest you read them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226732210&sr=8-2"]Understanding Exposure[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-Creatively-Composition-Photography/dp/0817441816/ref=pd_bbs_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226732210&sr=8-12"]Learning to See Creatively[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966250400/giftfella-20"]Matters of Light & Depth [/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Introduction-Photographic-Lighting/dp/0240808193/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226732266&sr=8-1"]Light: Science and Magic[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Dramatic-Portrait-Celebrity-Photography/dp/0817442278/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226732266&sr=8-3"]Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks-Photography-secrets-shooters/dp/0321544080/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226732210&sr=8-6"]The Moment It Clicks[/ame]

I would read the first 2 a couple times so the basics will sink in better. If you can't be bothered to read even that short list I wouldn't waste your money on art school.

You can learn a lot in a short amount of time if you’re truly dedicated and love photography.

To my mind, the first steps towards a certain amount of "professionalism" (as a state of mind rather than a means to feed a family here) is the chosen path of presentation.

When I see threads with photos one flowing into the other, no spaces inbetween, and 12 to 14 photos presented, no numbers, nothing to help (or even encourage) the viewer to individually critique a photo, I begin to wonder how careful said person is about their things in daily life, and how careful said person might be about their intended "profession". And this very immediate impression (and beware of immediate impressions you GIVE, they might break your neck if you are not careful) puts me into a very critical position already. I might not want to be put there but it happens. Immediately.

When I then read that said person plans to makes this their profession and ask if they already are on the way, I begin to wince inwardly. For it begins with the ability to carefully choose from one's vast collection of random photos and pick out only the ones that the person thinks really stand out THE MOST, and goes on with the careful presentation of those best photos.

Sorry for being so frank, but actually, at first sight of how you presented your photos - and how many your presented in one thread - I was going to close this without any comment at all (only feeling that "wince" inside me).

S40T5, the answer is no I'm afraid. Your work is not what's holding you back though. The only way for you to understand at this point is to take a few years of business at college.

If it helps, Ansel Adams wasn't good enough to make it right now on the strength of his work alone. But on the other hand I know people who make nice coin with a D40 and a portable printer doing nothing but taking snapshots. (the hours suck and they have no home life but hey)

Being a pro just means that you are in business and only that. Learn how to be in business successfully and all the other answers will become apparent.

Okay IMO I think the shots are too close up. The subject of every photo takes up the entire frame. But I think you have good ideas and talent! I assume you will be graduating in May? Maybe sign up for some photography classes in college! I wish I would have!

I think the best one is the one of the carhood? with the sunset behind. I like the last one but maybe get a bit more landscape in the shot (not so close up).

I dunno. I see potential.

Being a pro just means that you are in business and only that. Learn how to be in business successfully and all the other answers will become apparent.

That's right. There are varying degrees of "pro". Some are outrageously good, and others are so-so. But it seems to me that you're not on the way to portrait or wedding pro. It seems like you're going somewhere else. That's okay, especially if its an interpretive direction where you're being paid for your point of view. If that's the case, you could be a "pro" as soon as you find a market for people who want to buy your point of view.

But in short, I see potential worth going after. But now probably isn't the time to start trying to book clients.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back