Am I over-PP?

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been re-analyzing my techniques lately as I am trying to train my eye and learn more... So this is a photo I previously had in B&W, and have done some more editing... am I going overboard with the PP or is it ok?
alexaverybw2.jpg

I don't mind the sepia-esque caste, but the blurred vignette really doesn't work for me.

Okay, so why shoot at f9 at 33mm? Why not shoot wide open at 55mm and separate your subject a little further from the background? These are the sorts of issues that crop in 'full-auto' shooting. I'd recommend either full manual, or aperture priority, taking care to make sure that your shutter speeds don't fall below 1/125. And why, why, why shoot at ISO 800??? :confused:

This was done when I only shot in auto... I'm just now trying to learn about manual settings. I'm taking a class that starts in a couple weeks, so I've been reading to try to get a head start. It's been almost 15 years since I learned the technical side of things on my Minolta film SLR! ;)

Jenn if you want to photoshop a deeper DOF you need to select the kids in this pic, then select inverse and apply a lens blur to taste. IF you post an original without the vingette I will show you what I am talking about.....

To make it look more natural, you need to remember that thing that are the same distance as the subjects, should also be in focus....so don't make the grass at the bottom blurry. But the grass behind and the tree could be blurry...and it should get more blurry as it gets farther into the background. You can do this by adding a blur layer and putting a layer mask over it. Then paint the mask with a gradient so that it's stronger in the farther away parts.

Adding a vignette effect can also help, but I'd keep it to just a burning / darkening rather than a blur.

I think the original look fine. Usually if you have to ask 'Am I over PP'ing?', then the answer is yes. Like someone already said, it looks like you could shot at 18mm, wide open, and have gotten the DOF that you were looking for.

Most reactions

Back