am i wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly, I'm flabbergasted by the direction and reach of the comments associated with trying to make a case that tablets in schools is not just a bad idea but also, apparently, truly dangerous for mankind as a whole.

I thought you'd been here long enough not to be surprised by anything you see here.
it's actually quite surprising how often I'm surprised by some of things that go on here. :)

It doesn't require the apocalypse to have issues. Just any number of natural events, ranging from ice storms, to major flooding, to tornadoes and hurricanes, to winter storms to earthquates and tsunamis. If the sun has another snit-fit like it did in 1859 (the Carrington Event), there is a very good chance that the electric grid would be down for more than a few months, not to mention having the satellites fried (at least enough to be non-functional). We've also had a number of large meteor strikes (Cheliabinsk being a recent example), which if they occur over an urban area could be rather disruptive. Plus, given the prominence that cyberwarfare is getting, it is not inconceivable that some group that doesn't like the Western approach, may deliver some system-crippling viruses or other malware. There is a reason why Russia, China and India are putting up their own GPS and communication satellites. In short, modern technology is wonderful and fun, but critical systems should have some form of non-electronic backup. Just in case.
Again, we're talking in this thread about tablets in schools as a basic school supply for reading and research, not the failsafe systems on nuclear weapons missile silos. The fact that some of you have to scale up to Earth-melting scenarios to show what a horrible idea tablets in school is speaks volumes to me about how NOT significant or controversial the ACTUAL topic of tablets in schools really is.

I get that you don't personally seem to think that tablets in schools is a horrible idea, btw. But to further the conversation in the direction of those who have to scale up like that in an attempt to make any headway for their argument is, I think, counterproductive to the actual topic of, once again, tablets in schools.

And the pulling out of exceptions like weather events that disrupt electronic systems here and there is, to me, tantamount to trying to make the case that everyone having a horse and buggy is better than them having cars or trucks because sometimes powered vehicles crash and snarl traffic, injure or kill people, and so forth. Sometimes weather events shut down roads. Another sun "snit-fit" like the one in 1859 would also take out all the electronic systems in those powered vehicles also.

So what's the alternative? Go back to horse and buggy and shut down the airlines? Does that seem realistic to ANYBODY here? If not, then what IS your answer to that problem, if you consider it a real threat to worry about on a daily basis, enough so that you feel something MUST BE DONE - starting with, of all things, stopping the spread of the use of tablets in schools.

Truly, I'm flabbergasted by the direction and reach of the comments associated with trying to make a case that tablets in schools is not just a bad idea but also, apparently, truly dangerous for mankind as a whole.
we already discussed tablets. It was discovered some people like them, other dont think they are a good idea, and others think they are fine long as it is a balance.

you just haven't kept up.

It doesn't require the apocalypse to have issues. Just any number of natural events, ranging from ice storms, to major flooding, to tornadoes and hurricanes, to winter storms to earthquates and tsunamis. If the sun has another snit-fit like it did in 1859 (the Carrington Event), there is a very good chance that the electric grid would be down for more than a few months, not to mention having the satellites fried (at least enough to be non-functional). We've also had a number of large meteor strikes (Cheliabinsk being a recent example), which if they occur over an urban area could be rather disruptive. Plus, given the prominence that cyberwarfare is getting, it is not inconceivable that some group that doesn't like the Western approach, may deliver some system-crippling viruses or other malware. There is a reason why Russia, China and India are putting up their own GPS and communication satellites. In short, modern technology is wonderful and fun, but critical systems should have some form of non-electronic backup. Just in case.
Again, we're talking in this thread about tablets in schools as a basic school supply for reading and research, not the failsafe systems on nuclear weapons missile silos. The fact that some of you have to scale up to Earth-melting scenarios to show what a horrible idea tablets in school is speaks volumes to me about how NOT significant or controversial the ACTUAL topic of tablets in schools really is.

I get that you don't personally seem to think that tablets in schools is a horrible idea, btw. But to further the conversation in the direction of those who have to scale up like that in an attempt to make any headway for their argument is, I think, counterproductive to the actual topic of, once again, tablets in schools.

And the pulling out of exceptions like weather events that disrupt electronic systems here and there is, to me, tantamount to trying to make the case that everyone having a horse and buggy is better than them having cars or trucks because sometimes powered vehicles crash and snarl traffic, injure or kill people, and so forth. Sometimes weather events shut down roads. Another sun "snit-fit" like the one in 1859 would also take out all the electronic systems in those powered vehicles also.

So what's the alternative? Go back to horse and buggy and shut down the airlines? Does that seem realistic to ANYBODY here? If not, then what IS your answer to that problem, if you consider it a real threat to worry about on a daily basis, enough so that you feel something MUST BE DONE - starting with, of all things, stopping the spread of the use of tablets in schools.

we already discussed tablets. It was discovered some people like them, other dont think they are a good idea, and others think they are fine long as it is a balance.

Yeah, that's me all over - I just can't keep up. :048:

Like, the post I quoted and responded to, the very one you're responding to here, doesn't address tablets at all in the second paragraph:
As for using iPads to facilitate student learning, I don't have any issues with it, as long as the school or school board implementing this method isn't thinking that just changing the tools will give the students a better learning experience. I have two daughters (one in university, one who's doing the teaching), several nephews and at least two sister-in-laws that are fully plugged into the possibilities of cyber education. But there have been issues that come with this type of connection (viruses, hacks, impersonation, inappropriate contact) that have to be dealt with.
If only I could keep up... sigh...

Last edited:

Like, the post I quoted and responded to, the very one you're responding to here, doesn't address tablets at all in the second paragraph:
As for using iPads to facilitate student learning, I don't have any issues with it, as long as the school or school board implementing this method isn't thinking that just changing the tools will give the students a better learning experience. I have two daughters (one in university, one who's doing the teaching), several nephews and at least two sister-in-laws that are fully plugged into the possibilities of cyber education. But there have been issues that come with this type of connection (viruses, hacks, impersonation, inappropriate contact) that have to be dealt with.
we won't know the true effects of all this for a couple decades. Hindsight is 20/20. Right now it seems cheaper, easier, more efficient. And more fun for kids since they don't have to write much. Easier for teachers as they don't have to hand grade or teach so much. Following here? It revolves around easier, cheaper, and more fun. Wonder why they are all for it.

we won't know the true effects of all this for a couple decades. Hindsight is 20/20. Right now it seems cheaper, easier, more efficient. And more fun for kids since they don't have to write much. Easier for teachers as they don't have to hand grade or teach so much. Following here? It revolves around easier, cheaper, and more fun. Wonder why they are all for it.
"Cheaper" I obviously concur with, since it definitely is, especially over the long haul.

As for your contention that it's all about being fun and easy, you've already made it clear that you are entirely biased to rebuke the idea of their use and looking for any reason to support that bias, even when your comments don't actually hold up under further scrutiny.

To my knowledge, you are not an expert on the forefront of current cutting-edge education techniques nor the scientific studies and conclusion that support them, nor have you consulted with those who are, or even your local school board to get their perspective on WHY. You're ignoring the obviousness of the reality that surrounds you on the issue, and preferring your gut feelings instead.

That's fine for you, but it doesn't move my needle even a fraction toward accepting that your gut feeling is valid in real-world education needs and applications for the youth of today and the world they'll have to deal with as adults.

Educational needs and techniques evolve over time to meet the challenges of the era they exist in, as well as the best guess for the near-future needs of those to be educated. It has always been so.

Our children's future world and existence isn't what the world and existence of our past was, nor even the world and existence as it is today. Look back 20, 30, 40, 50 years, and consider the changes to our lives, our jobs, our understanding, and so forth, over that period of time. Now project forward 20, 30, 40, 50 years and try to imagine what kinds of changes might occur; Changes we have an obligation to prepare today's youth for if at all possible.

We can't achieve that basic educational goal by wasting any of the finite time, energy and dollars we have by concentrating on teaching them things we don't expect them to actually need in that future world.

As for tablets in particular, look around. They're showing up everywhere on people's actual jobs today, from the executive to the assistant to the FedEX and UPS delivery people to the warehouse workers to the engineers and construction people to - you name it - they're popping up everywhere as a means to get and provide information and data quickly, efficiently and at reduced costs. That use of tablets all around us in everyday jobs is only going to increase over time. So yes, the youth of today DO need to be well acclimated to using them for all kinds of purposes and tasks and software in order to be prepared for their jobs and world of the future. They ARE essential in today's educational environment because of that fact alone.

Your flippant remarks about how it's just because they're "easier cheaper and more fun" misses the mark by a longshot and shows no practical vision for the needs of our childrens' futures.

"Cheaper" I obviously concur with, since it definitely is, especially over the long haul.

As for your contention that it's all about being fun and easy, you've already made it clear that you are entirely biased to rebuke the idea of their use and looking for any reason to support that bias, even when your comments don't actually hold up under further scrutiny.

To my knowledge, you are not an expert on the forefront of current cutting-edge education techniques nor the scientific studies and conclusion that support them, nor have you consulted with those who are, or even your local school board to get their perspective on WHY. You're ignoring the obviousness of the reality that surrounds you on the issue, and preferring your gut feelings instead.

That's fine for you, but it doesn't move my needle even a fraction toward accepting that your gut feeling is valid in real-world education needs and applications for the youth of today and the world they'll have to deal with as adults.

Educational needs and techniques evolve over time to meet the challenges of the era they exist in, as well as the best guess for the near-future needs of those to be educated. It has always been so.

Our children's future world and existence isn't what the world and existence of our past was, nor even the world and existence as it is today. Look back 20, 30, 40, 50 years, and consider the changes to our lives, our jobs, our understanding, and so forth, over that period of time. Now project forward 20, 30, 40, 50 years and try to imagine what kinds of changes might occur; Changes we have an obligation to prepare today's youth for if at all possible.

We can't achieve that basic educational goal by wasting any of the finite time, energy and dollars we have by concentrating on teaching them things we don't expect them to actually need in that future world.

As for tablets in particular, look around. They're showing up everywhere on people's actual jobs today, from the executive to the assistant to the FedEX and UPS delivery people to the warehouse workers to the engineers and construction people to - you name it - they're popping up everywhere as a means to get and provide information and data quickly, efficiently and at reduced costs. That use of tablets all around us in everyday jobs is only going to increase over time. So yes, the youth of today DO need to be well acclimated to using them for all kinds of purposes and tasks and software in order to be prepared for their jobs and world of the future. They ARE essential in today's educational environment because of that fact alone.

Your flippant remarks about how it's just because they're "easier cheaper and more fun" misses the mark by a longshot and shows no practical vision for the needs of our childrens' futures.

Good points. You are going with the assumption children aren't exposed to electronic devices already though. Like this is somehow cutting edge. Their houses already have tablets, computers, ipods, cellphones etc. etc. etc They already live in a electronic age. If anything they might have too many electronics and be a little short on manual and thinking skills.

Good points. You are going with the assumption children aren't exposed to electronic devices already though. Like this is somehow cutting edge. Their houses already have tablets, computers, ipods, cellphones etc. etc. etc They already live in a electronic age. If anything they might have too many electronics and be a little short on manual and thinking skills.
If I'm making any assumptions at all regarding this, it's that any devices like this that they use at home are being used almost exclusively for play and social media, NOT for work tasks that will relate to their future jobs in some way.

Meanwhile, you are apparently assuming that all kids have tablets at home, per your assertion above. My nieces and nephews sure didn't before the school issued them - too poor for their family to make that happen. Their house has no computers, no tablets (other than the school-issued ones), only their dad has a cell phone, and it's a basic flip phone, not a smart phone. There are a lot of very low-income families in their area, so I ASSUME that they are not the only ones in that position.

Apparently, YOUR kid didn't have one either, per your details about how you decided to buy her one AFTER the school issued it.

That said, how do the kids in those families across the country prepare for the future with little to no hands-on experience? And again, even for those who have electronics at home, how does playing Angry Birds teach them how to set up a spreadsheet or solve more complex math problems or compose essays on one?

You're also making the assertion tried earlier in this thread that they're ignorant or idiots with your comment that, "they might have too many electronics and be a little short on manual and thinking skills", and you're again tying it to the use of modern electronic devices - AGAIN without any corroborating evidence that such is the case.

At what point do you stop making stuff like this up about all this? How many times do your comments and assertions and claims have to be shown not to comport with the reality or actual evidence that surrounds these issues for you to stop ignoring them?

Last edited:
If I'm making any assumptions at all regarding this, it's that any devices like this that they use at home are being used almost exclusively for play and social media, NOT for work tasks that will relate to their future jobs in some way.

Meanwhile, you are apparently assuming that all kids have tablets at home, per your assertion above. My nieces and nephews sure didn't before the school issued them - too poor for their family to make that happen. Their house has no computers, no tablets (other than the school-issued ones), only their dad has a cell phone, and it's a basic flip phone, not a smart phone. There are a lot of very low-income families in their area, so I ASSUME that they are not the only ones in that position.

Apparently, YOUR kid didn't have one either, per your details about how you decided to buy her one AFTER the school issued it.

That said, how do the kids in those families across the country prepare for the future with little to no hands-on experience? And again, even for those who have electronics at home, how does playing Angry Birds teach them how to set up a spreadsheet or solve more complex math problems or compose essays on one?

You're also making the assertion tried earlier in this thread that they're ignorant or idiots with your comment that, "they might have too many electronics and be a little short on manual and thinking skills", and you're again tying it to the use of modern electronic devices - AGAIN without any corroborating evidence that such is the case.

At what point do you stop making stuff like this up about all this? How many times do your comments and assertions and claims have to be shown not to comport with the reality or actual evidence that surrounds these issues for you to stop ignoring them?
Shocking Study Shows Why Technology Is Not Really Making Us Smarter - Forbes

Does Technology Make Us Smarter or Dumber TIME.com

Is Technology Making Us Stupid and Smarter Psychology Today

It is the crystalized iq that is mostly the kicker. As in, what a person actually KNOWS. Not to mention if you were bored and wanted to go look up u.s. statistics in education they aren't that stellar and i am sure you can find all kinds of studies on detrimental effects of electronics on social development, writing, and memory. You are pleading a case for the "dumbing down" of society. I am not sure you realized that. Perhaps you should rethink your position. You could also find plenty of data on obesity in the united states if you really wanted to look. Most of us, have carried with this as assumption because the debate on electronics has been going on for years. You can find someone that knows how to operate a ipad, that cant even write effectively or might have trouble c0unting change. People sort through a myriad of cellphone/smart phone applications but can score below proficiency on a iq test (even the new easier ones that dont gauge as much actual knowledge)... None of this is new. Just seems like you are outdated and just started considering it. Keep up with the times. geez. And no one has to convince you. Do your own homework. Stop being lazy.

Last edited:
Show how tablet use has led to the current state of education in the United States as compared to other countries. Again, yes, I'm asking you to show ACTUAL correlation and causation for your continued assertions.

Now then, if I go find a dozen articles that "prove" the world is flat, will that convince you that it is?

Stop being lazy yourself and look around you at the real world that's filling up in every profession with tablet use, then tell me again why students shouldn't be learning to use them in school.

What they actually "know". Means if you take away the electronics and go by what is actually in long term memory means they don't "know" a hell of a lot. And basic
If I go find a dozen articles that "prove" the world is flat, will that convince you that it is?

Stop being lazy yourself and look around you at the real world that's filling up in every profession with tablet use, then tell me again why students shouldn't be learning to use them in school.
balance. "Knowing" something is different. For instance, when my child was learning sq ft area and volume. I didnt just let them do the "teacher assignment" i handed them a tape measure and had them measure the household appliances. then i asked if i could move this to here, this to here, etc. The transition of b.s. knowledge into applied knowledge. That goes into long term memory. Looking something up on a ipad or on this laptop i am on right now doesn't really amount to squat. Neither will most of these tutorials they hand out on these ipads in schools. jmo. I think balance is necessary. As they become tech smart and actual functioning iq (you know, actual real knowledge) stupid.

By the way, what's YOUR answer to the problem you keep trying to thrust to the forefront: Dumb kids due to modern tech?

Should we abandon it all and go back to the pre-industrial era, Mr. Luddite? Somewhere between then and now? Define a line in the sand for us, so we know just where you stand.

Show how tablet use has led to the current state of education in the United States as compared to other countries. Again, yes, I'm asking you to show ACTUAL correlation and causation for your continued assertions.

Now then, if I go find a dozen articles that "prove" the world is flat, will that convince you that it is?

take away the tablet. what do they know now????? Dependency....

So let me get this straight, reading words on paper is different than reading words on an electronic device? Is the answer to 2+2 different if it is written on paper than if it is on an electronic device? Funny, but in my part of the world Cat, whether it is on paper or on an electronic device still means this.
cat_wet.png

In my part of the world 2+2=4 either on paper or on an electronic device.

Apples to oranges my friend. Back in the day when your ancestors were picking lice off their N#%%$ and eating raw meat fire was new technology. Every discovery, invention or creation since early man quite flinging his poop at each other has been a new technology.

It's how it is used that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back