Amatuer looking for tips :)

Wash Out

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to all this, so editing or any general photography advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

DSC00267x2.jpg

DSC00361x2.jpg

DSC00348x2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I'm completely new to this forum, thanks for steering me the right direction :mrgreen: I'll get it eventually.

Last edited:
WTH kind of snake is that?

All three, especially the second two, could use more DOF. They were all shot at f/5.6, which is nice for taking a portrait or something where you can stand back a few feet and allow the DOF to isolate the subject. In this case, however, you needed probably f/11 or better. I'm starting to really learn how razor thin DOF gets when wide open and up-close. I was shooting bees on yarrow the other day and was getting 1/8"-1/4", which wasn't enough... at F/11.

Basically close up your aperture for macro work.

Thanks... The snake in the first shot is actually a lizard, thats why it looks weird. Those pics were taken on a Sony Cybershot that was given to me without a book or wires or anything. I have since found an adapter for the card but I don't know how to work the camera really. it says I have been taking pics on f/2.8 but I cannot figure out how to change it... Thanks for the advice though I didn't know the aperature setting controlled DOf..

Welcome to the world of photography! If u really want to get into this as a hobby you should try to find the book for your camera and learn everything it can and can not do. Then get a basic book on Digital Photography and read both of the books like 3 times. Then take a ton of shots like 400 or so and come back and read those books again and buy a new book on compisition. Take another 400 pics and then look back at them all and you will be amazed at how much you can learn from that project!

Let us know if you would like to know of some good books!

PS Pretty cool shots and ideas from a POINT AND SHOOT!

Thanks, for the kind words :mrgreen: I just finished looking up the book online and reading some of it. I know that there is a world of information out there on photography and just like everything else there is always room for improvement. I hope I don't come off as lazy or ungrateful... But, I am currently a student and probably wont have time for the reading several books several times over approach until I am graduated. I was hoping more for the forum advice from the elders approach, just some general pointers based on the above pics. Maybe something you think would improve my next set of 400 photos. Again, I appreciate any and all input you have to give...

Most reactions

Back