Ambulance Entance

jocose said:
Egads! I just noticed that I spelled "entrance" wrong...oops :blushing:
And nobody rode you for it...just show we do like you ;)

For me, it's the white portion of the frame. The shiny, plastic looking corners and dual colors (might be a shadow) just distract from the photo.

JM, that makes sense, but sometimes I look at some of my pics and it's like ink running on the page, you know? I feel that you need a barrier to bounce your eye back into the frame rather than continue drifting out. This is especially true for pics that have white on the edges (like the same white as the background page...you just don't know where the picture ends).

Does that make sense?

So maybe it's just a matter of taste? Hmmm....others thoughts....

woodsac said:
And nobody rode you for it...just show we do like you ;)

For me, it's the white portion of the frame. The shiny, plastic looking corners and dual colors (might be a shadow) just distract from the photo.

aww...now I'm all teary-eyed...especially since y'all harrassed Mansi, and JM tells me she is way out of my league...

When you're talking about the corners...are you talking about the black trim or around the pic itself? I did the edging of the frame thusly:

I did my post-processing (oh, by the way JonMikal and MyCameraEye and ClarinetJWD--this picture was shot in RAW--so there :greenpbl: ), then I increased the canvis by 300 px all around. I created a new layer behind the pic and filled it in with white. Then I took the marquee (I think the little plus thing that makes squares to highlight) tool and went to the edge in so the little plus's tips were on the left and top edge, dragged to the bottom right and lined it up the same. Then I did a select inverse, feathered to 20 and layered via cut. then I filled in the cut piece (with black and made that the very bottom layer. Does that make sense?

As for the shadow. If you look at some older pics (like from my sister's wedding), you will see that there I have a drop shadow...for that I just duplicated the pic layer, deleted the pic and filled it with black, feathered it at 50 and moved it right and down until it was a cute drop shadow. I never liked that, so I tried something different for this one. Sadly, while I will be able to repeat it, I can't explain it because I don't know the terms yet. Basically I grabbed the pic (in a copied layer) and then right clicked in the box and one of the options was something like overlay or some such, and I did it at 50 and that is how I got the shadow all around (I think).

So, there you go...that's how I did it. I realize you didn't ask, but tough :)

Seriously, though, my original question still stands, are you talking about the shadow or the black trim at the very edge?

Basically what I see is too many elements.

Starting nearest the picture you have:
what appears to be a very thin drop shadow
next, a thicker grayish/off white shadow about 1/8"
next, a more dominant white border...extremely white only in the corners
next, another thin grayish/off white shadow
finally, your black, outside border

It's the shadows between the drop shadow and the outside black frame that I find distracting. Especially since the corners are much brighter than the rest of the frame.

woodsac said:
Basically what I see is too many elements.

Starting nearest the picture you have:
what appears to be a very thin drop shadow
next, a thicker grayish/off white shadow about 1/8"
next, a more dominant white border...extremely white only in the corners
next, another thin grayish/off white shadow
finally, your black, outside border

It's the shadows between the drop shadow and the outside black frame that I find distracting. Especially since the corners are much brighter than the rest of the frame.

JM just sent me the pic with a simple frame (JM, feel free to post it here if you want). So, I have that open in one window, my pic in another, and your description in yet another. It's funny, I really liked mine, but after seeing JM's, I see how mine is distracting. Then after reading your description, it totally makes sense :er: and I really liked mine originally...but now that you point this stuff out, I understand. Oh, well, that's what it's all about, right :)

Anyway, thanks both of you for your help and suggestions.

Jon, can you explain how you did what you did (and remember that I only have Elements).

JonMikal said:
much better

Thanks, JM. I used the stroke command, but I was a little disappointed to see that I had to do it on the same layer that the pic was on...so I just created another layer with a "clean" version of the pics so I could have an untouched one.

Also, I think I already said, but this was from a series of RAW shots....but I've noticed that it loses the EXIF data...did I do something wrong with the conversion?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back