Amongst piers

TheWHU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'd love to get your thoughts on these. Pier 1 has had some light work done to it as the original was a little flat and underexposed but 2 & 3 are straight out of camera (although they have been compressed for posting).

Please give me your best....or worst :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• Pier 1.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Pier 2.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Pier 3.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 90
IMO the third is the best out of the group but would definitely crop it down a bit. Like this...
Pier 3.jpg

The other two are not too interesting without something else like the sunrise, clouds, etc.

IMO the third is the best out of the group but would definitely crop it down a bit. The other two are not too interesting without something else like the sunrise, clouds, etc.

Appreciate your comments Joe. Definitely agree about cropping the 3rd shot. As straight out of camera shots I was pretty pleased but definitely agree a bit of creative editing to liven them up wouldn't go amiss.

I think the third one is the strongest but the bright gap on the left is distracting to me. I probably would have adjusted where I was standing to create a framing composition around the edge of the image using the columns or crop in post to do the same.

The first two aren't super interesting... The sky in particular looks flat and doesn't have a lot going on in it to justify taking up such a large percentage of the frame... Which for me aggravates what looks like most of the structure being out of your field of sharpness (hard to tell and i could be wrong, I'm looking at this on my phone using Tapatalk) and it looks almost like there's a bit of haloing around it as well.

Im not an authority on landscapse photos though so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Thanks for sharing, btw. It looks like you had a fun day. I love too far from the ocean to visit often so I really enjoy photos of it when I get the chance.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Bluewanders. Useful comments indeed and I can take them away and use them constructively. As straight out of camera shots I was pretty pleased so a bit of editing wouldn't go amiss.

If I may I can at least take the positive in that they made you dream of the beach perhaps?!

You definitely can! I forgot to mention that in the first shot while the sky was sort of problematic for me I liked the regularly spaced repeating horizontal lines in the waves and shadows you managed to capture in that frame and would have been very tempted to play around with that pattern some when I was shooting. Either on scene compositionally or in post. A creative crop might not do a whole lot for you in trying to emphasize the pattern, but in processing color it might. Would be interesting to play with it as a black and white and push it into a fairly abstract space of tonality to see what could happen.

But that's a lot more experimental approach to the image than you were probably wanting. Either way... I just wanted to say your sense of timing on that frame was good, I like it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back