An example of why a fast continuous speed can be important

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out today with another board member here to do some shooting... with two different types of tools that shoot. :)

I wanted to get some shots of firearms cycling. With a machinegun, this is relatively easy. Just hold the trigger back and hold the shutter down. The speed of the continuous mode on your camera doesn't really matter as you'll get some brass mid-air no matter how slow it is.

Example:

621627071_MRjnR-L.jpg

With a single shot handgun it's a lot harder. You have to have the shooter fire pretty quickly and with my 1D firing shots at 10fps I might get one shot of the pistol with the slide open and a spent cartridge in the air out of 20 pictures. Here's a shot of what I was trying to capture.

621628256_q5D2R-L.jpg

I got a number of really cool shots, but some were not quite in focus because I was using "single shot" mode. Here's where the AI-Servo AF system of the 1D really comes into play. I was shooting these at f/4 and ISO 1600 with a shutter speed in the 1/1250 range. The guns move when shot, and at f/4 what was in focus before the firing cycle began will likely not be in focus once it starts as the whole firearm moves rearward quite a bit and VERY quickly. The 1D owned it. :) I really do love that camera.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Last edited:
great job Tharmsen

Thanks for sharing this T.

I can dream of someday getting a better camera, can't I?

Nice Tharmsen. I almost went 1D3, but opted for the 5DII. By the time the 1D4 is out, I will have money saved up for it....or a used 1D3. Then I can ditch the 40D and have a bad a** sports camera. The 1D3 is likely the best "all around" camera.

Oh yeah, the 1DMk4 will be in my kit bag sometime next year too. :) I can only imagine what that thing will do! But I will have a hard time parting with my Mk3. It's an amazing camera.

Ok, here's two pics from the set that will show how much the pistol moves during firing and why AF tracking the movement is important.

These two shots were taken one after the other with the camera set to One Shot mode for AF. Notice how shot #1 is in perfect focus whereas shot #2 is way out of focus. Notice how far the pistol has moved in a fraction of a second.

622320319_yXbgz-L.jpg

622320599_uM85e-L.jpg

Here's the sequence as it appears in LightRoom.

622333520_XCiUS-M.png

The ability to track the pistol while it moves faster than your eye can even really detect is pretty important.

Here's two pics taken one after the other, this time with AI Servo engaged.

622330106_UV2e9-L.jpg

622330147_n9XaH-L.jpg

I thought that was pretty cool. :)

heh a shot of the bullet would be awesome
Trying to catch the brass is hard enough. By the time the slide opens and the case is captured in mid-air, the bullet is long gone and to the target in most cases.

Those pictures are awesome! I really like seeing them completely frozen!

Hope you don't mind if i post my example but I tried taking pictures of someone shooting once. Unfortunately it was inside where there wasn't much light. The best i could do was 1/60th - f/4.5 at 3200 ISO.

Not sure, but it almost looks like you can see a blurry line which kind of looks like it could be the bullet (if it is, my friend has a bad shot because its going too high lol).

3383542465_faf8c7b608_o.jpg

Great shot man! I think what you're seeing moving down range is probably a brass shaving or burning powder. From the image it looks like the slide has moved rearward already (the blur) but it's hard to tell. I mean, usually by the time the slide returns to battery the muzzle blast is no longer visible. I'm not sure what I'm seeing really. :) But if the slide still hasn't moved rearward and it's just starting to unlock, it could be a glint of copper from the bullet we're seeing.

I've seen bullets in flight before with my naked eyes. I was shooting with the sun to my back and each time I fired I could see a copper streak heading towards the target. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's a shot from my set that's similar to yours.

622524947_YLW7J-L.jpg

I had my shutter speed way too slow... darn it. :)

Cool pics but I have to wonder who or what is back in the bush. It is not like a gravel pit, quarry or shooting range like Boomers pic where you can clearly see.

If the light is right (behind you), you can usually see the bullet traveling downrange (with your eyes). It should be possible to capture that on film (or, in pixels - "on film" sounds better).

It's much easier to see with a slow moving bullet (.45) though. (Hollow-Points or FMJ should be the easiest to see - jacketed base.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back