an opportunity to practice and learn.

WolfSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a good opportunity to practice and learn comming up. My mom has a horse and a friend of hers wants to have some pictures taken of her daughter for the rest of her family to send out and has asked if she could use my mom's horse and land as part of the pictures. My mom commented to her that her son, me, has a good camera and takes decent pictures and would probably be willing to take the pictures for her. I am more then willing to do this for my mom's friend for absolutely no charge and give her a CD full of images to print for her family to see. I figure this is a good chance for me to build/start on a portfolio, interact with someone who is not my kids, that wants to pose for semi-pro/amature(sp.) photos. Couple of questions.

I know I want a 50mm 1.8, but do I need it for this particular shoot since it will be outdoor?

She will not be riding the horse what so ever, what kind of poses do I need to be thinking about?

Do I want to add some non-horse photos, like with the barn, or some hay bales as back drops, or would that be tacky?

Should I worry about editing the photos at all, since this is a free shoot, and a favor? I figure if I edit them I can practice more on what it would be like to be doing a pro shoot right?

I'm not trying to rush into profesional photography right now, being I am bound to a strict changing time schedule with the military thing, but I will jump on every opportunity that comes my way, and one day hope to make some money doing this, even if it's just enough to pay for the ink and paper to print. Any advice or additional equipment I should conisder purchaseing would be greatly appreciated.

I recently sent a CD of images I took for someone at an event. I edited all 50 images I sent. Nothing big, just a bit of sharpening, crop and in some cases a few other plays. I wanted to present something as finished and professional as I can make it. After all this could turn into a paying situation down the road.
I think you could get away without the 50mm if you don't have it on hand. Make sure to bring your flash and tripod so you can use it off camera!
I think shots in the barn would be very cool.

One of my fav images is of a girl walking down a barn isle shot from the back with the light coming at the cam so all you see is the horse and girl in silhouette(sp). I say go all out, get allot of different pictures in allot of different settings :)

I have no input to ad as far as poses ocation or compositon goes but I do want to suggest one thing. Looking at your current list of lenses I have to say BUY THE 50!!!!!!!!!!!!. When you finish this job and start editing you will find the only images that are truly sharp and of good quality will be the ones you sho with the 50. Lighting conditions aside, the 50 will give you a superior quality image sharper with better depth-of-field.

Even if she isn't riding the horse get her up on his back. And make sure the horse is well groomed. You could even take some pictures of her doing that. Get her interacting with the horse as much as possable not just posing.

If the hundred bucks, more or less, is not a stretch for you, I can only recommend to purchase it. You will find may other uses for it. The nifty fifty monicure is there for a reason.

As Sweetsomedays said, have your model interact with the horse as much as possible. It will look natural, casual and likely to produce your better images. Also, I don't see why she couldn't saddle up. It would give you the opportunity to try your hand with action shots.

As far as PP is concerned, personally I would take the approach to touch up each one that you intend to present. That being said, not every shot during the session has to be delivered, you'll know what I mean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back