" ANGLES/LINES/TEXTURE.......??

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok here are two shots, most would say this is a B+W shot, but to show ANGLES/LINES/ and TEXTURE.... Don't you Feel the Color Conveys this better.. ???

Thoughts?? and as usual open season on any comment or critique??

bwquestion.jpg

JaspersColor.jpg

Ok here are two shots, most would say this is a B+W shot, but to show ANGLES/LINES/ and TEXTURE.... Don't you Feel the Color Conveys this better.. ???

not in the least. the reason that the color may feel 'stronger' is that the reddish brick amidst the neutral and muted color surroundings allows a stronger focal point. after three or so minutes of staring and gazing at each, the red facade loses its pull/appeal, then the diagonals/leading lines have no strength at all; it becomes just an alley to me.

Motcon !! Hi There! and A+ on your thoughts, The color Red in even a slight form in a photo is an instant magnet...not just the brick, but actually the RED at the Entrance, should pull your eyes, and then give a almost Tunnel feel, or even a 3D effect.. with this you loose the angles/lines and texture.. Where with the B+W , this magnet feel don't happen, and you pick up on lines/angles and textures..

Thanks.... and well said !

I believe I'm more intersted in the color version....the B&W version is appealing, but there's something about the crisp colors in the other. I'm able to see more that the alley is on a bit of an incline, and it portrays a little more about what side of town this alley is in.....and why people go down this alley....? The B&W almost takes away from the tavern...and focuses more on the alley, whereas the color version draws me to the end...to the purpose of the alley....the tavern. 3D def. ....my eyes pass the alley walls and stare straight at the RED and even the statue next to the tavern....great shot!

aammoore.... Thanks, appreciate your comments... and thats what RED does in a photo like this, as I said a magnet... when placed in the center such as this, the eyes go straight to it, more or less first.. while it does probably take away from the lines/angles, it does (color) show texture.. I to like the color..
The color Red is powerful in images...

Weeeeeeellll, if it is the LINES you want to point out more, and their leading function towards that door, then take the b&w version.
If it is the texture of the bricks and the magnetism of the (red) door you want to point out, you need the colours.
So there, both versions have their merits, and they are quite different.
Whatever it is you want more: use that version.

Other than that I like the photo as it is. I like strong leading lines, geometrical shapes and textures. So I am STILL torn between the one or the other version :scratch: and cannot say which one I prefer over the other... and wouldn't you assume this is better placed in the General Gallery than here?

LaFoto... Hmmmm was thinking this was a kind of thought provoking shot, where opinions about color vs B+W offered a nice little quiz.. like to hear peoples thoughts, and how they feel about this...Meaty Critique..

but if you want to move it, no problem, I can settle for nice photo/ Don't care for it/ good job/ try different angle... blah blah blah...

and hey thanks for your comments...

motcon... what your saying could work.. I just for one, like serious critique on the entire shot that I would post here, not just this one, but any posted , and sometimes specific questions limit that... example , someone says hows my lighting on this flower?? ( DON"T get me wrong, specific questions are great) reply might be / lighting not bad / might want to use smaller apt number to get more light on subject???

Hey great advise, but for me, i want to also know about the shot in General... Bad Flower/ Composition, closer view, not enough background blur???? etc etc.. Like to know the Critiquer's Likes and Dislikes, and more important , do you like the photo at all ??

motcon... what your saying could work.. I just for one, like serious critique on the entire shot that I would post here, not just this one, but any posted , and sometimes specific questions limit that... example , someone says hows my lighting on this flower?? ( DON"T get me wrong, specific questions are great) reply might be / lighting not bad / might want to use smaller apt number to get more light on subject???

actually, i'm a well known advocate of both types of critique forums.

we violently agree.

The black and white has contrast as one of its main assets more than the color photo. Less variable f it makes sense like.

Black and white = worry about contrast, composition, and tonal range
Color = worry composition, saturation, color balance, tonal range, and exposure.

With the black and white having less variables, the balance being thrown off by a dark vs. light wall stands out more. I am thinking with both pictures, a less asymetrical alley would distract less from showing the design element of lines. The dark texture oriented brick across from a bland "(off)white wash" wall seems to throw the balance off for me. Also the lines seem to trace the corners too perfectly, I think a good shot would be looking alongside a all and throing the angles out of whack a little, that way you lose the "prim and perfect centered framing". I have only been in to photography for a little while and probably have no say so in my critiques. I'll leave you to take what of my opinions you think make sense to you and possibly could agree with, but they are all personal opinons and photography is a pretty subjective view. There may be classes on photography, but there is no textbook perfect photo that everyone in the world is supposed to love, so you may think differently than me, but I hope I could help.

DSLR !! Hey Thank you for the comments!

and let me quote you here a second---->"" I have only been in to photography for a little while and probably have no say so in my critiques. I'll leave you to take what of my opinions you think make sense to you and possibly could agree with, but they are all personal opinons and photography is a pretty subjective view.""

THAT IS X-LENT!! but public opinion is public opinion, and I will feed from what you say,,, DON'T EVER THINK because you are just starting out , your opinions are less valuable than others, at least not with me..

Ok I see what your saying... other people have told me to even omit the pale wall on the right in B+W!! so right up your alley here..

I think why I like the color so much , is for the tunnel effect I got off of it, I also loved the textures portrayed in the color, and the colors themselves, right down to the pavement... but it does interest me to here all's opinions on this ... as to how the LINES/ANGLES/and textures play out, and how the Red center screws with the eyes ...

ok and one more quote from you I like here ----> """" There may be classes on photography, but there is no textbook perfect photo that everyone in the world is supposed to love, so you may think differently than me, but I hope I could help. """

Every comment when put in a decent way is a help to anyone who is serious about there work... believe me, I have had a lot of critique in my time, and to this day, some things I heard awhile back, still stick with me each time I push the shutter release!! Constructive critique in a polite way , goes a long way!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write the above... and get off the newbie, there are no pros in photography, every shot/ every day is learning!

Thank you for that. I'm glad to hear that. I've felt bad lately about critiquing others when I realized I have only put up 2 photos for a critique myself, and learned so much, it made me think that all this time, info I have been giving out hasn't been too valid because others felt I needed to change my photos so much.

Well god luck with the photo, I like it overall, and the idea behind it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back