Good Alternative to Sony ZV-1M2 Without Overheating Issue?

William Baroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for this forum. I'm new here.

My wife and I went to the Far East, and I bought a Sony ZV-1M2 because I thought it would be good to have something better than a phone. Now I regret the decision.

The camera overheats at 1080p. On a sunny day, I had videos shut down after less than 80 seconds. I had the overheat setting on the default temperature because I thought 1080p would not be a problem, but I was wrong. I don't know how long it will run with the setting changed, but I am not anxious to waste more video finding out.

I have read that overheating is a known issue with the whole Sony line.

What product would be a good replacement? I'm not planning to become a great photographer. I can operate a basic SLR, and I can use a gimbal and external mikes, but that's about it. I want something that isn't going to cause me a lot of problems because I didn't spend 6 months memorizing the manual and shooting practice videos. I'm mainly interested in video. The phone is good enough for most still photos.

Hello and welcome, I have been using the Sony RX10 m4 for years now with no problems. Did you get an international warranty with the camera.?

Hello and welcome, I have been using the Sony RX10 m4 for years now with no problems. Did you get an international warranty with the camera.?
I bought it from Best Buy, so it should have whatever warranty Sony provides.

It's not a warranty issue, though. This camera overheats for everyone when used in warm environments for more than a few minutes.

The overheating is partly the result of it being small. In general, assuming the same internal technology, the smaller the camera, the more the overheating. If they make a bigger camera using the same electronics, then it will last longer. Add a fan and it will last even longer again. Now at this point, I don't know what the internal circuitry is, so it does not help that much. But if the ZV-E10 has essentially the same circuitry, then it should do better. But is the circuitry the same? I don't know.

Personally, for video, I tend to use real "camcorders". Otherwise, sometimes I use Lumix M4/3 camera bodies, or my Sony a6400. And lately I have been using my Sony Xperia 10iii phone.

This thing will be fine for shooting in cool surroundings, but it's really annoying to end up with a series of videos 1:17 minutes long when the sun is out.

I have heard that Canons don't overheat as badly.

A web source suggests using an external battery bank.

It's interesting that cameras are generally black. Pretty stupid, when overheating in the sun is an issue.

This thing will be fine for shooting in cool surroundings, but it's really annoying to end up with a series of videos 1:17 minutes long when the sun is out.

I have heard that Canons don't overheat as badly.

Gee, that's odd. The first thing I heard about from Canon users was that they was overheating like crazy for 4K. I think they got around that after about a year. It took time. How did they get around it? I don't know, but I would guess that bitrate probably had something to do with it. The biggest problem is that you want better image quality, which needs higher bitrates, and that means more heat. So it tends to need a compromise. Eventually finer (small) circuitry comes along that requires less power, and that is the best solution. But Canon has no magic in that regard. I've been using Canon for video for years, but I have no delusions about capabilities. Electrons are elections.

FYI....From Sony support page......

While camcorders provide nonstop, high-quality video recording capability, they don't offer the same still image capture quality. Digital still and interchangeable lens cameras offer the best of both worlds: high-quality image capture and video capture capability. Cameras also provide advanced focus, lighting, image capture flexibility, and control capabilities above camcorders. If you're using your camera to record movie clips or shoot many continuous bursts of still pictures, the temperature inside the camera will increase. If the temperature becomes too high, a warning icon or error message may appear, and the device shuts down to protect the circuitry. This response to heat is a typical camera characteristic, and the device should be turned off to cool down.

Before you start​

• Check your camera operating manual or Help Guide for specific recording limits, steps, and additional information related to temperature conditions.
  • Cameras have defined limits for continuous video or multi-burst image recording time.
  • Recording limits will vary depending on your camera model and other factors.

I plan to use my heavy external battery as long as I keep this camera. I will have to put it in my pocket and use a long, annoying cable, but if it keeps the camera running longer than 1:17 minutes, it will be worth it.

Sad to buy this thing in order to get past using the phone, and then to end up using the phone to back it up.

If anyone can recommend something that doesn't overheat this fast, let me know. I would like to avoid buying anything really huge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back