Another first HDR thread, C&C please!

markgentry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am still very new to this, have only recently gotten an entry-level DSLR. Any constructive criticism welcome!
3659253098_57dc263649_b.jpg
Send To Phone

Last edited:
I like the HDR in this photo, but for me it's just too busy. I find my eyes darting all over the photo.

I don't see it as a HDR. looks like an over exposed nighttime shot.
Sorry mate.....

Thanks so far! No need to be sorry...like I said, any/all constructive criticism welcome!

what is the subject? (im a n00b too)

When I first saw this image, I didnt immediately think it WAS an HDR. And maybe that's a good thing. I would say that it does need a clear and definable subject though, as others have stated before. Could you post small images that you used to make this composite? How did you combine them, in Photomatix or just layer in Photoshop?

You're right, I do need a more definable subject. I was just going for a simple shot of the neighborhood, and liked what I saw compared to the original shots. I still have much to learn about this process. In all reality, I still have no clue what I'm doing...mostly guess work so far.

A couple of you have said it doesn't look much like an HDR...what are some definite characteristics of a nicely done HDR? I'm hoping to get some guidance in the right direction to hopefully get some impressive shots one day

And the shots were combined in Photomatix and tweaked a bit more in Photoshop. Here are the shots used...feel free to suggest ways to improve.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

As you can see, I still have a lot to learn about settings as well. Guess that will only come through practice! Thanks again for any comments/advice, I would love to be able to produce shots like I've seen from some of your galleries one day!Send To Phone
Send To Phone
Send To Phone

Well, I will be honest, I have a lot to learn about HDR myself. I wanted to get a feel for how it's done and see the originals that made up this image, and what software is used to get certain results.

Personally, I think it's kind of a good thing that this image does not look 'overdone.' I like the final image much better than it's counterparts, although the one thing I will suggest is that you take an extra shot or two in addition to your bracketed exposures to expose for the really dark or shadowed areas (even though it is a night shot), so you will not have noisy areas where those dark areas lie.

Obviously, the same ideas of composition apply to night photography and once you apply them, I think you will get some really great images! Again, this is coming from someone not very well versed in HDR, so you can take it with a grain of salt if you wish. I will be getting Photomatix, and maybe I will share my results as well.

Thanks for posting the originals!

It's pretty cool test shot. I don't like the starred lights though. I don't know if it can be avoided at all. either.

Oh, wait. you did shutter priority, so you got more stars as your aperture closed.

Why did you do shutter priority for this? I would think aperture priority would have been the way to go. Open it all the way up and let 'er rip.

IM A NOOB? HDR? Definition?
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. Cameras cannot record the range of values in a scene as your eyes see it, so you can bracket your exposures (your camera can take a normal shot, and then a shot underexposed and then one overexposed). Then, you can combine the images into a composite so it looks a lot more like you saw it when you took the picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back