Another first HDR thread, C&C please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by markgentry, Jun 30, 2009.

1. markgentry

markgentry TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am still very new to this, have only recently gotten an entry-level DSLR. Any constructive criticism welcome!
    [​IMG]Send To Phone

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. JamieR

JamieR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the HDR in this photo, but for me it's just too busy. I find my eyes darting all over the photo.

3. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see it as a HDR. looks like an over exposed nighttime shot.
    Sorry mate.....

4. markgentry

markgentry TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so far! No need to be sorry...like I said, any/all constructive criticism welcome!

5. max3k

max3k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what is the subject? (im a n00b too)

6. Clawed

Clawed TPF Noob!

When I first saw this image, I didnt immediately think it WAS an HDR. And maybe that's a good thing. I would say that it does need a clear and definable subject though, as others have stated before. Could you post small images that you used to make this composite? How did you combine them, in Photomatix or just layer in Photoshop?

7. markgentry

markgentry TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're right, I do need a more definable subject. I was just going for a simple shot of the neighborhood, and liked what I saw compared to the original shots. I still have much to learn about this process. In all reality, I still have no clue what I'm doing...mostly guess work so far.

A couple of you have said it doesn't look much like an HDR...what are some definite characteristics of a nicely done HDR? I'm hoping to get some guidance in the right direction to hopefully get some impressive shots one day

And the shots were combined in Photomatix and tweaked a bit more in Photoshop. Here are the shots used...feel free to suggest ways to improve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I still have a lot to learn about settings as well. Guess that will only come through practice! Thanks again for any comments/advice, I would love to be able to produce shots like I've seen from some of your galleries one day!Send To Phone
    Send To Phone
    Send To Phone

8. Clawed

Clawed TPF Noob!

Well, I will be honest, I have a lot to learn about HDR myself. I wanted to get a feel for how it's done and see the originals that made up this image, and what software is used to get certain results.

Personally, I think it's kind of a good thing that this image does not look 'overdone.' I like the final image much better than it's counterparts, although the one thing I will suggest is that you take an extra shot or two in addition to your bracketed exposures to expose for the really dark or shadowed areas (even though it is a night shot), so you will not have noisy areas where those dark areas lie.

Obviously, the same ideas of composition apply to night photography and once you apply them, I think you will get some really great images! Again, this is coming from someone not very well versed in HDR, so you can take it with a grain of salt if you wish. I will be getting Photomatix, and maybe I will share my results as well.

Thanks for posting the originals!

9. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It's pretty cool test shot. I don't like the starred lights though. I don't know if it can be avoided at all. either.

Oh, wait. you did shutter priority, so you got more stars as your aperture closed.

Why did you do shutter priority for this? I would think aperture priority would have been the way to go. Open it all the way up and let 'er rip.

10. Jeffro

Jeffro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IM A NOOB? HDR? Definition?

11. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    High Dynamic Range.

Google it, and learn more.

12. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit