Another REALLY good reason to avoid Flickr like the plague!

It's like the Ferguson MO of the Internet.

I quit reading by the third paragraph, that was all I needed to see... I'm going to log into Flickr and check it out myself but I already quit using MyYahoo some time ago, they dropped everything about it that made it 'mine'. I have next to nothing on my Flickr page anyway so it's not much to give up.

I don't use sites anymore that want user submitted images and give little or no compensation. I don't intend to help a company profit from using this type business model, which seems like it is taking advantage of their site users. Creative Commons = bad bad bad as far as I can tell.
There is nothing wrong with Creative Commons - you just need to understand that if you are allowing commercial use, people can sell your stuff! If you just want to make the images freely available, there are many non-commercial licenses to choose from if the thought of people selling your images (with your permission) and making money on the sale makes you sick.

I have some stuff (not much - very little actually, as a percentage of my work) under a Creative Commons license (always non-commercial though - when I want to make it free, I make it FREE). For me the biggest decision is whether or not I want to allow derivative works.

You really should read past the third paragraph though... This is why people get so upset. OMG, people are mad! I use that too! I'm going to get mad too!

...Oh wait, those people actually went out of their way to make this kind of usage possible?

If you don't want it used, don't put it on the Internet. And the right-click stops no one that really wants it!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

If you dont want Flickr to sell your images , DON'T GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO DO SO.

Last edited:
I meant I quit reading because I had the information I needed from that article after three paragraphs, enough red flags by that point (lack of compensation, apparent underpricing, etc.). If they're underpricing and/or undercompensating users that just seems to help further dilute an already oversaturated market.

I should have said though I do use the FPP discussion page since that's the primary way to stay in touch w/their site, so that's a compromise I guess. I'd be just as glad if they'd set up something independently of a site like Flickr - seems like a lot of sites have changed since starting out and often not for the better.

Most reactions

Back