Another REALLY good reason to avoid Flickr like the plague!

And some of us are too old or too techie dumb to figure this out..yup, that's me!
HOW do I set this so no one can use it, but people can still see it If post it?
I didn't give use for someone to steal it that I know of, just for people to view it.
I had a good Thanksgiving!
Nancy

I understand that it is avoidable, but I do prefer to support companies with a little more integrity whenever possible. *shrug*

That's going to be a long, arduous journey. For profit companies will take advantage of all avenues of profit.

Sucks, but 'tis the free market. Read the fine print, check all applicable boxes.

If you INTENTIONALLY offer your photos for the WHOLE WORLD to use WITHOUT ANY RESTRICTION, which is what you're doing by checking the box on Flickr that says that's your intent, then there's nothing to cry about when that happens...
Fair comment, HOWEVER... I don't think it's fair to say that people are doing this intentionally. They are misunderstanding and/or not fully reading the details of the license, and yes, that is absolutely their fault, BUT, I would submit that Flickr is taking unfair advantage of that ignorance/laziness in the same way an adult who does who gives a child a "nice, shiny quarter" in exchange for a valuable Indian arrowhead the child found.

I can't even find my profile to make this change, so I think TiredIron has me down to the t.
I really thought that if you click the allow button, it's THE only way you can post there?
like when you somewhere and they say 'well you can't rent this jet ski unless you sign a waiver..'. Did it say you are allowing someone to take my photo and sell it, nope, not to me.
Nancy

dont go out of your way to select creative common license if you dont want people to use your images at will.

Sorry, but that's not a reason to "avoid Flickr like the plague." It's a reason to not specifically take the time and make the effort to check the boxes at Flickr to give away your rights to others to do anything they want with your images, including sell them, or shut up and accept it when they do.

There are other similar reasons;

I don't use Flickr because it is owned by Yahoo. Yahoo is the company that turned over email addresses to the Chinese government which in turned caused the imprisonment of a number of Chinese dissidents and journalists. Including this guy who was released early from his eight year imprisonment.

Shi Tao: China frees journalist jailed over Yahoo emails | World news | The Guardian

Additional background info:
http://www.rsf.org/IMG/pdf/US_Senate_IT_May2008_statementonrecord_ok-trad-rev-ok.pdf

In a hearing on this case, Yahoo owners/top management testified directly to U.S. Senators. One Senator summarized his feelings ... and I paraphrase ... The owners of Yahoo may be materialistically rich, but they are morally bankrupt.

Gary

I don't use Yahoo and Flicker for other reasons but this really puts a nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned.
I just happened to catch the Senate hearings. Here were these Yahoo top executives and all their attorneys and behind them were the parents of Shi Tao. It all was pretty simple ... profits over human rights. After watching the hearings I immediately stopped using my Yahoo email and Flickr. Granted, my leaving had no impact on Yahoo ... but it had an impact on me. My actions made me feel better.

Gary

Sorry, but that's not a reason to "avoid Flickr like the plague." It's a reason to not specifically take the time and make the effort to check the boxes at Flickr to give away your rights to others to do anything they want with your images, including sell them, or shut up and accept it when they do.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, with which I will respectfully disagree. Of course it's simply a matter of selecting the appropriate license, and of course they're not doing anything that they're not legally allowed to do, HOWEVER, I would suggest that given their mission statement is:

"Flickr - almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world - has two main goals:
1. We want to help people make their photos available to the people who matter to them.
2. We want to enable new ways of organizing photos and video."

and the general impression they attempt to present is one of being supportive to artists and artistic intent, such actions, while legal, are unethical and immoral and should not be supported.
If you INTENTIONALLY offer your photos for the WHOLE WORLD to use WITHOUT ANY RESTRICTION, which is what you're doing by checking the box on Flickr that says that's your intent, then there's nothing to cry about when that happens, whether it's by Joe Blow or a company, INCLUDING Flickr itself. There's nothing immoral or unethical about it at all because you told the whole world up front to go right ahead and DO IT and that you're A-OK with it.

On the other hand, if you were on a web site like Flickr, or even THIS FORUM, and did NOT give ANYBODY permission to use your photos for ANY PURPOSE, and they did it, THAT would be immoral, unethical and ILLEGAL because it's a clear violation of copyright LAW. If you then reported that to the people that run that website and they said it was none of their business, that TOO would be immoral and unethical, as well as condoning that which is ILLEGAL.
Flickr actually has a pretty good selection of licensing options to choose from. I have mine set to default to "all rights reserved". It sounds to me like the people that are pissed off about this should have chosen a more appropriate license for the way I assume they intended the photos to be used. Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike, or similar (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs if they don't want their work to be altered). You can set it to pretty much anything you want.

I am in total agreement that if you basically tell the world to have at it with your photos, you should not be surprised when people actually use them.

Getting mad about it is even more ridiculous when you consider that you have to go out of your way to select that license, and you could have just as easily selected one of the non-commercial ones. Also, what the licenses allow and do not allow is very clearly defined, so I don't see how somebody could claim that they didn't know what they were agreeing to.

dont go out of your way to select creative common license if you dont want people to use your images at will.
Exactly.

To those who say you're not tech-savvy or don't bother to read stuff like contracts when you click to agree with whatever they say, it defaults to NOT giving away ANY of your rights when you sign up and start posting to Flickr. You have to go out of your way to find and grant the world the right to do whatever they want with your images.

I have looked at my Flickr site and clicked all the tabs but cannot find my profile or options to change/look at any settings?
Any help where I see that?
Nancy

I have looked at my Flickr site and clicked all the tabs but cannot find my profile or options to change/look at any settings?
Nancy
To change the license for just one photo, you can click on the license and it will bring up a list of things you can change it to.
15897764741_b0f17a231b_b.jpg

If you want to change the default for all future uploads, that's under the Privacy & Permissions tab of the Account Settings page. To find that page, click on your "Buddy Icon" in the upper right corner of the main page, then go to Settings.

15899120292_99c7991b18_b.jpg

Nancy
You set it image by image. In your privacy settings you can set up the default , which is all rights reserved.

You only give away your photo rights if you expressly give away your photos up for free use.

Why wouldn't Flickr offer to sell creative commons free images for a profit?

Mine is set to 'all rights reserved' and I think that's actually the default. I seem to recall you actually have to go out of your way to flag something for a creative-commons license, and by the way... there's a NonCommercial (NC) version of each CC license.

As other have pointed out... if you go out of your way to flag your images for Create Commons and you allow commercial use (you didn't pick one of the many Non-Commercial flavors of CC) then, yes... you've allowed people to use images commercial and they're doing nothing wrong.

This is like giving permission to use something commercially and then getting upset when someone ACTUALLY uses an image commercially.

I can remember when Facebook kept changing default security rules and was driving everyone crazy because you couldn't just set the security on your account to something you liked and leave it be... you constantly had to be on your guard that Facebook was doing something sneaky.

What Flickr is doing isn't the same. They haven't changed any rules or usage policies. They haven't charged the license descriptions. They haven't changed your default licensing choice. They haven't changed anything nor have they haven't tricked anyone into doing anything. How is Flickr being bad here?

Oh, and by the way... even if Flickr wasn't selling the prints... if you've licensed your images for Creative Commons and allowed commercial use, then ANYONE can download your images, frame them, and offer them for sale (even at a profit.)

I joined flickr in 2010, but didn't set it all up to use till last year. I was specifically asked what licensing option I wanted when creating my profile, and I chose "all rights reserved", I didn't need to search for anything. I also made sure the right click option was off so no one could right click and save any of my photos. That bit, I did have to look for, but it wasn't that hard to find.....but don't ask me now, just where I found it, because I don't recall.

I quit reading by the third paragraph, that was all I needed to see... I'm going to log into Flickr and check it out myself but I already quit using MyYahoo some time ago, they dropped everything about it that made it 'mine'. I have next to nothing on my Flickr page anyway so it's not much to give up.

I don't use sites anymore that want user submitted images and give little or no compensation. I don't intend to help a company profit from using this type business model, which seems like it is taking advantage of their site users. Creative Commons = bad bad bad as far as I can tell.

Most reactions

Back