Another "What Should I Do?" Thread....

mrpink

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since upgrading the the D90, I have my "old" D40 sitting on the shelf. My options are:

1. Keep the D40 as a backup. I am not a pro by any means- so this sounds a little counter productive to me.

2. Sell the D40 and kit lens for around $350, put that towards a Sigma 10-20, or Nikon 10-24 ($200 more).

3. Sell the D40, kit lens, and 55-200mm VR for around $450-$500 and buy a used Nikon 18-200mm VR or new Sigma 18-200mm. Then start saving for a wide.

4. Something I am not thinking of (not really into macro at all right now)....

Right now, my photography is mainly of my family (mostly outdoors, but I hope to do some portraits soon)... but with warmer weather arriving; I plan on getting out hiking and doing more landscapes. I like the idea of adding the wide lens for a more creative look. The "all in one"-ness of the 18-200mm is very appealing as well, especially with a toddler.

p!nK

Trade me your D40 plus some $$$ for my Sigma 18-250 and you can keep your other 2 lenses, or sell them to recover the $$$ and be out virtually nothing, or ahead of the game.

Trade me your D40 plus some $$$ for my Sigma 18-250 and you can keep your other 2 lenses, or sell them to recover the $$$ and be out virtually nothing, or ahead of the game.

Good lens, I use it also.

I would pass on the 18-200 though, the sigma 18-250mm has great range and the IQ is up to par with Nikon's 18-200mm from what I've seen.

Maybe go with a sigma 70-200mm 2.8? You can get it for around $700

I think you would have fun shooting with the 10-20mm ultra wide angle too and it could be beneficial towards for your landscaping photography.

I think you would be happy with either the Nikon 18-200 or the Sigma 18-250mm though just because the versatility in length and coverage is so convenient.

personally, i think i would keep the d40 for situations where you'd like a dslr but dont want to risk your primary rig...mtn biking, snowsports, boating, etc.

i dont think you'd be able to get much of a lens with what you'd likely get for the d40 body.

you already have the 50mm, you already have a nice speedlight...

i might be alone on this, but i say keep it. :D

EDIT
eh...upon rereading your options list....im with dom...go the wide route. 10-24 or 10-20.

personally, i think i would keep the d40 for situations where you'd like a dslr but dont want to risk your primary rig...mtn biking, snowsports, boating, etc.

i dont think you'd be able to get much of a lens with what you'd likely get for the d40 body.

you already have the 50mm, you already have a nice speedlight...

i might be alone on this, but i say keep it. :D

EDIT
eh...upon rereading your options list....im with dom...go the wide route. 10-24 or 10-20.

I totally agree with you here, but the way I see it- the D90 is not THAT much bigger than the 40, and when I do those sports a P&S will do just fine and be less cumbersome (I have a waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof Oylmpus 1030SW)

I am thinking I am going to go option #3 route, get the all around lens for now, and start saving for a wide.

Thanks

p!nK

I would pass on the 18-200 though, the sigma 18-250mm has great range and the IQ is up to par with Nikon's 18-200mm from what I've seen.
Be sure and take into account the IQ of the Nikon 18-200mm isn't all that great, it's just an expensive jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, super zoom, variable aperture, kit lens.

Be sure and take into account the IQ of the Nikon 18-200mm isn't all that great, it's just an expensive jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, super zoom, variable aperture, kit lens.

This I have heard before....

I went with PhotoX's Sigma for now. Gotta lock up the piggy bank for the 10-24mm.... any ideas on what a good price for a used Nikkor 10-24 would be? Just so I can keep my eyes peeled.

p!nK

This I have heard before....

I went with PhotoX's Sigma for now. Gotta lock up the piggy bank for the 10-24mm.... any ideas on what a good price for a used Nikkor 10-24 would be? Just so I can keep my eyes peeled.

p!nK
As the price of a new copy of a Nikon lens goes up, so to does the used price, so it's a moving target. I would also look for a good example of a used 12-24 f/4 myself.

I keep on eye on used gear prices at amazon.com, keh.co, b&hphotovideo.com (used dept), and adorama.com (used).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back