Any DSLR cameras with an LCD Viewfinder?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Treymac, May 19, 2007.

1. Treymac

Treymac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, first post here. I'm new to photography and am just starting. I'm looking at getting an entry level DSLR camera, but that depends on if they have LCD viewfinders. I've really gotten used to using the LCD and can not stand looking through the regular viewfinder because I were glasses. I know that DSLR cameras used to not have LCD viewfinders, but I heard that a couple of years ago. Has there been any changes so that there are some cameras on the market with it? Thanks.

2. smyth

smyth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i believe the only ones that do are the Evolt line from Olympus.

If you don't like looking through the viewfinder with glasses however, many have a built in diopter (i believe that is the word) that will correct the image in the viewfinder for your eyesight.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Evolt E-330 is what you're looking for.

4. Zatodragon

Zatodragon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Evolt has the live preview as well as Panasonic's DSLR. The only problem with live preview is each time you auto focus, i've heard the screen blanks off and takes a second longer to focus than when not in live preview mode.

So if you can get the diopter to work for ya, i would try that so you can really open up your range of cameras you can use. Plus, they have this handy gadget for you to use if you really have your heart set on an lcd view finder. http://www.zigview.co.uk/

Good Luck!

5. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally i prefer using the viewfinder to the screen but on the glasses and diopter thing - I wear glasses and tried adjusting the diopter to compensate when i removed by specs.
    It didn't work unfortunately. My eye sight isn't that bad (i can pass a uk driving test without specs) and i reckon it's because i have an astigmatism - my eyes aren't exactly spherical.

Wearing glasses while shooting is actually no great problem at all. Sometimes awkward if shooting from a low angle or against a wall/building etc but in general it's no problem.

6. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I wear glasses too, but without them I doubt I'd be lucky to cross the road alive, nevermind pass a driving test :lol: so for me no diopter adjustment's strong enough; I have to wear glasses or contact lenses. And in general I agree it's not that hard shooting with modern dSLRs. Not compared to say rangefinders where I have to put contacts in or I can't see the whole frame. Many of the previous generation of dSLRs had tiny dark viewfinders that I considered pretty inadequate, but they're getting better. The one thing I'm really not that happy with is manual focus; it became less convenient with 35mm when they went from manual focus to autofocus and took out the bright screens and split-circles, and it became even less so with the smaller and darker viewfinders on most dSLRs. I know lots of people don't find it a problem, but as a fellow specs wearer I thought I'd give my opinion. Of course you might not use manual focus enough to consider it an issue. Other than that, shooting shouldn't be too hard if you are used to using a viewfinder. Of course if you're more comfortable using LCDs then you could definitely consider the Olympus line.

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ditto. I have to wear contacts if I decide to shoot with my FE.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    I suggest you get a Yashica Mat 124 and a scanner.

9. RVsForFun

RVsForFun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have on in a personal camera and the viewfinder absolutely washes out in daylight. And I wear glasses, too, which contributes to the light entering the viewfinder. LCD finders are basically TV/video screens, and they're horrible in daylight.

10. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Canon EOS 1D Mark III :) oh wait... too expensive?

11. AlexisRhea

AlexisRhea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Olympus Evolt 330 and 410 have the option to use the LCD while shooting. The 500 unfortunately does not. Depending on the $ you want to spend, it looks like the new 410 is a fabulous camera.

12. Leica Digilux 3... it's a cousin of a Panasonic camera, but with different firmware, longer warranty, and a small red dot on the front with the word Leica on it.

Very sweet camera.