Any linear polarized filters which dont reduce light transmission so much?

cr500

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read about Hoyas new circular polarizing filters which they claim allow more light transmission than other filters, only needing 1/2 to 1 stop extra. Does anyone know who makes a good quality linear polarized filter which doesn't reduce light transmission 1.5 to 2 stops like most seem to?
I was looking for a 52mm filter first, then if it works well, maybe a 62 and 85mm filter.

Are you thinking of using a linear polarizer for a digital camera?
My understanding is a linear polarizers cause issues with auto focus issues on digital cameras as they were made for film cameras .

I should have clarified I will not be using it a digital due to the havoc the linear polarizers apparently play with the sensors.

Are you thinking of using a linear polarizer for a digital camera?
My understanding is a linear polarizers cause issues with auto focus issues on digital cameras as they were made for film cameras .

You understanding is slightly incorrect.

It's Phase AF that's messed up by linear polarizers, this is the case for both film & digital. Contrast AF is unaffected as where manual focus tricks in old viewfinders.
I believe some SLRs also can have their light meters confused.

A theoretically perfect polarizer should on average reduce the light by 1 stop, though the exact amount would depend on the amount of reflections etc & the orientation of the filter. If Hoya's new filter is consistently below this it must let through large amounts of light polarized in the direction it's supposed to be blocking.

.[/QUOTE]

A theoretically perfect polarizer should on average reduce the light by 1 stop, though the exact amount would depend on the amount of reflections etc & the orientation of the filter. If Hoya's new filter is consistently below this it must let through large amounts of light polarized in the direction it's supposed to be blocking.[/QUOTE]
I see your point. So a linear polariser which requires 1 stop is as good as we would be looking for. Any idea who makes something like this?

Linear Polarizers work perfectly well with Mirrorless cameras

Most reactions

Back