Any Linux users? Need scanner help.

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ubuntu 10.04, specifically.

I'm trying to get an Epson V600 working on an AMD64 machine running Ubuntu 10.04, and nothing I've tried is working...

Now, I'm no expert, but I've done a ton of searching, and nothing I'm finding works... Please tell me it's possible, lol.

Yes ... I installed the data/core files for amd64, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I try to start iscan, I get this:

5118770387_c3b0c5671f_o.png

sane-find-scanner shows the scanner, but I can't get it to be recognized by iscan or xsane... I tried changing the permissions, but I might be doing it wrong ... it didn't seem to do anything.

Tried doing it using chmod ... is there another way?

I bought this scanner specifically because it was compatible with linux... I guess I should have checked for compatibility with the AMD64 architecture specifically too...

I know I can make it work, I just don't know how - and I can't seem to find the right search terms to give me the results I need.

What is the "/etc/sane.d/dll.conf" looks like?

What am I supposed to to type in front of that (other than sudo)?

(Still kinda new at linux...)

BUT - Good News! I got it to work!

...My dumb ass forgot to install o couple of the packages I needed.

Works perfect now!

Apparently, I missed a few.

I went back there and double checked everything and installed whatever wasn't installed already. That fixed it.
(I just installed everything that ended with amd64.deb. I missed one or two of the plugins the first time.)

Last edited:
Great! Glad you are able to get it going.

One of the major issue in Linux world is hardware support. Not too many companies spend their resources to develop driver for Linux especially for regular consumer items. But of course, I found more and more manufacturers making hardware that works with Linux now.

At work, we use Brother All-In-One type network laser printer, I found their support is not bad. I can use 90% of the function including faxing, scanning and of course printing in Linux.

If you want more control of your OS, Linux is very good platform.

I've had a few issues since switching to Linux - nothing major - but each time I found the solution and it was easy as hell. The only hard part is finding out how to do some things - once you find out, it's pretty easy. I just don't know the right search terms for some of the issues I've had, or don't know the terminal commands... Once I learn all that stuff, I think It'll be mostly problem free.

Most reactions

Back