Any tips/tricks for keeping track of which batteries are charged and which are used?

Looks like you've already got your solution, but I just have marks on my clear 4-pack battery cases with a + sign on one side. When the batteries need charging, I put them in opposite that, and then it's easy to see which are charged and which need charging.

Right pocket = Ready to go

Left pocket = Losers

I also used battery caddies and the right pocket, left pocket method. I got mine from the same place I got all my rechargeable NiMH batteries - ThomasDistributing.com

For AA batteries it is simple. I too use plastic battery holders that open at the top. Positive side up = charged battery. Negative side up = needs to be charged.
For body batteries I have the contact covers that came with them. Contact cover on = Charged battery. Contact cover off = needs to be charged.

Not sure if you all know this, but i only discovered it the other day. Canon camera batteries (7D) have a little hole in the cover which when placed on the battery shows whether its charged or not depending upon orientation.

I use rechargable AA batteries in clear, plastic "four-pack" holders...
I use those as well.

My system is pretty simple. When the batteries are fully charged, they go into the holder with all 4 cells in the same direction. It doesn't matter which way they go in, left/right/up/down...as long as they are all pointed the same way, I know they are charged.
When I take them out of a flash, they go into the holder with at least one cell opposite the others.

Seems like unneeded work.

With numbered batteries you just start with number one and when you go through that you just put in number two. You always know what number is next by simply looking at the number on the battery you just removed.

And if it's dark and you can't read the numbers, as when shooting a dance? Been there, done that. Won't happen again.

In tennis, I believe we call this a "winner." :mrgreen:

Right pocket = Ready to go

Left pocket = Losers

Whoa,whoa,whoa--what the he(( is this, Chinese or Arabic or something??? You guys are absolutely nutty, and bass-ackwards!!!!!!!

Everybody KNOWS it's supposed to be:

L
eft pocket = can be LEFT IN place...have Life LEFT IN THEM...

Right pocket= When I get back these need to go RIGHT ON THE ChaRger

Man, you guys is crazy!!!!

MAN UP--shave it again! And again! And again! 'Till it "sticks!"

I use these! If the batteries are in + side down.. they are charged...

If they are in + side up... they are used and need charging!

Amazon.com: PowerPax SlimLine 4 AA Battery Caddy Yellow: Electronics
F***ing brilliant! That's exactly what & how I needed! Order for fifteen submitted to eBay! (Amazon.ca didn't carry them).

That IS brilliant! I've just been using ziploc bags, one marked Charged and one marked Used--but I just ordered some of these!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use these! If the batteries are in + side down.. they are charged...

If they are in + side up... they are used and need charging!

Amazon.com: PowerPax SlimLine 4 AA Battery Caddy Yellow: Electronics

I take this one step further. I use the YELLOW version of these to indicate CHARGED. I have an equivalent number of BLACK ones as well, to indicate DISCHARGED. That way, I don't have to be concerned with direction they are inserted (Sometimes I will put + side up to indicate charged (in the yellow ones), - up in the black ones.

I take one more empty black battery holder than yellow with me to hold the fully charged set (at beginning of the trip/outting) in the flash or other AA battery device(s) after they die. I also have other AA-powered devices that I use with the same live/dead holders.

If space concerns are an issue having 5 battery holders with me (3 black, 2 yellow, for example), that's when a trip to the car (or suitcase, if travelling) will be necessary to get more charged ones and leave off the dead ones.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back