Any way to catch H20 Collisions without a timing device?

If he got a truck you get an equal amount of camera gear in money/weight (whichever is the greater ;))
over the corse of the loan, or this year? lol. I think an equal amount of the monthly car payment is pretty fair. Insurance costs too right??

Those are great Buckster! I seem to have the "crowns" and what not taken care of with my current rigging. Im specifically wanting the more advanced collisions.
I think the big problem you'll need to overcome is the precise timing of the drips themselves. Unless they are exactly timed apart from one another, you'll simply NEVER get a collision, except by pure accident. One has to follow the first at an exact timing in order to collide with the first one just as the first one is splashing up.

That's where the more expensive triggers come into play because they trigger not just the lights, but the precise pumps/drippers that squirt out more than one drip in a precise timing between them, then fire the light at the precise moment they collide. In addition, those pumps and the controllers also control how much liquid will be used for each drop, which can make a big difference as well. So, one drop can be bigger than the other, providing unique varied results.
Yes, I have come CLOSE to getting a collision many times, but you know what they say about horseshoes. :)

I watched a youtube video last night of a 500fps slow motion video of the collision it was pretty awesome! Two minuets, three collisions real time of .6 seconds! AMAZING! Looks like I will have to wait patiently for a timer. Or start selling some photos to fund it. :BIGGIGGLE:

I saw a newish app and, IIRC, an interface device that runs off a smartphone, demonstrated in another forum. It was relatively inexpensive. The Hong Kong guy who owns a camera store and makes those entertaining yet informative videos, has a video using the device as well. Sound triggers the device and it seems to work quite well. I known a forum member (different forum) that has one. I'll hit him up if you want.

Gary
Sure! I would definitely be interested in learning a bit more. I can pm you with my email address, if that would be best?
No need for a pm. The app is called Triggertrap. Here is a link to the other forum where I first saw the app.

Triggertrap looks like a LOT of fun - General X Camera Discussion - Fuji X Forum

Here's a video:

Good Luck, I think I'm gonna get one too.

Gary

A medical intravenous drip chamber might be a really good and inexpensive solution to drip timing.

Just Google or Amazon search: intravenous drip chamber

Looks like you can get one for about $9 including shipping and handling. Maybe cheaper if you search more than I did.

A long time ago, I rigged up a simple setup where two needles formed a very small gap, and were connected to a circuit that would supply the trigger to a flash. The gap was positioned so that a falling drop would pass through the gap, and in doing so, complete the circuit, triggering the flash. There was a little bit of latency in this, so by varying the height of the needle gap, I was able to effectively create a timing mechanism. It was crude, but simple, and it worked. One of these days I'll do this again and see if I can document it in photographs.

Triggertrap has a flash sync as well. Check out all the products on their site. Amazon seems to be about $10 cheaper than purchasing from the official Triggertrap site.

Gary

Check out this 3000 fps video. It gets all the collision types you could hope for. But it looks like the drop timing is quite fast. Now I haven't done this frame-by-frame but i think the rough guide is probably close enough to give an order of magnatude

3" 1st drop hits water
16" 1st collision

12 seconds and 3000 fps that's (at least) 1/250 of a second between drops. It's "running" water. :)

I say at least because the 2nd drop hits higher so is spending less time falling.

So it looks like the really difficult part of this is getting good accurate water drops.. err.. i mean running water ;)

Wow, some awesome examples.
But I'm done buying camera stuff for the year.
My next big purchase is a nice Campagnolo Ghibli or Mavic Comete rear disc wheel for one of my bicycles ... and riding alot more too :)

Most reactions

Back