Any Weston Master / Euro Master users here?

Hi, yeah I've looked at the specs, a Lunasix goes down to about -2.5 EV at 100 ASA whilst a Euromaster goes to about EV 1. Obviously the Gossen is a battery powered whilst the selenium Weston isn't. Is the Weston sensitive enough?

Lol

Hello again,

Well according to the specs, the lowest EV is 3 (at 100 asa) which equates to 1 second at f/2.8, so it is sensitive enough for anything handheld. But since you are going for moonlit stuff, you'll probably find yourself pushing the limits of the meter's abilities away from city lighting. Given the choice, I'd go for the Gossen. 5.5 EV is a nice bit of elbow room to have!

Fuddy

Lol999 said:
Is the Weston sensitive enough?
The simple answer is 'no'.
Selenium cells produce electricity in response to light. There just isn't enough energy in moonlight to overcome system hysteresis.
You would get a reading if you pointed it directly at the moon, though, but that is only of limited usefulness.
With battery powered light meters you have energy in the system so you can amplify any light striking the sensor and get a reading.
I have had a Weston Euro for over 30 years - and I have a Sekonic for studio and night (I prefer the Weston for landscapes during daylight).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back