anyone ever DIY a modeling lamp?

IJLimagery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a godox ad-360
it has a lot of power, and portability is great. I use a Brolly Box with a phottix multi boom so, I have an extra spot where I can mount... what I'm hoping to be a modeling lamp.
anyone ever do this? or recommend a flashlight / lamp to use? or... think of some limitations / problems I'd run into?

many thanks

The modeling lamp needs to be in the same location as the flashtube. Aadditionally, the modeling lamp is automatically switched off at the instant the flashtube is energized.

so.. I guess I could have elaborated. the phottix boom I use is this:
Amazon.com Phottix Multi Boom 16 Flash Bracket and Varos II BG combo Photographic Lighting Booms And Stands Camera Photo
it has 2 spot where you can affix a standard flash.... so... basically anything that I can screw down with a.... i think it's a 1/4" nut.

The softbox I use with this light is usually a brolly box, umbrella style where the flash is enclosed within the softbox. Someone messaged me saying that I need to have the lamp turn off when the strobe fires. Is this really necessary? I mean.. the modeling lamp is likely going to be far weaker than the strobe. I guess color of the modelling light could be a problem. In that case, my next idea would be to DIY a switch that would come out of the zipper in the softbox where I could position the light, then switch it off before shooting it. I guess that would bring in the problem of... this being a lot of running back and forth when the model moves.

maybe there's a flash light that has a bicycle mount that I could use. or... a headlamp?

First off I was thinking of some sort of... remote controlled led lamp. but I can't find one that is bright enough. so..

I guess my next best question is... what's the best / cheapest alternative to portable strobe power that's portable?

I started doing engagement shoots with my sb 900's. problems became apparent immediately: outdoors, there's not enough power and the delay between shots interferes with the flow of the shoot. (too slow). I also started overheating my strobes.

enter the Godox ad-360. at first, love it. super portable. lots of power. enough battery life. super quick refresh.

I guess I've become a little spoiled with it. I got asked to do some corporate headshots and group shots for promo of a new law firm. started shooting group shots outdoors, then came indoors to do headshots and... started to understand the need for a modeling lamp. :ambivalence:

perhaps, I'm hoping for too much. all thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back