Anyone into Geotagging?

zx6r1033

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was actually surprised when the search only turned up one or two threads... or maybe I am searching for the wrong thing?

Anyway... I've been looking around for a GPS-geotagger. I want something that is user-friendly, and I am running into a lot of mixed reviews on various equipment. I'm hoping there are some people bouncing around the forum that could point me in the right direction in my search.

$100 +/- is the preferable budget. I have an Olympus Evolt E510, so the nikon geotaggers probably won't work for me.

As little required user input as possible would be nice. I want something as close to plug-n-play as I can get.

I used to do some geotagging (had a cable to tie my Garmin 60CSx to my camera) but after the first few times, it became quite cumbersome to pull everything out and get it hooked up.... not to mention that unless you were on a tripod, you needed three hands to take one picture.
I found it much easier to take a photo of what I wanted, and then just take a shot of my GPS screen.

I have a bluetooth GPS datalogger I'll sell you for $80 shipped. Works incredibly well and as long as your camera's time is the same as the GPS time it's a breeze and very accurate.

I have a GPS capable Nikon now so I no longer need it.

Wintec G-Rayz 2, works with most popular Geotagging software that I've used and has excellent battery life with very fast acquisition time.

Even worked with my Smartphone:
2310474732_74e76108a7.jpg

How about getting a camera with GPS and compass info. built in?

skieur

I have wanted a gps ever since I saw what my friend had last summer with his D700 - a geotagger that sat on the hotshoe and plugged into the camera that put the geotag directly onto the raw files. Somehow the extra step of syncing it at the end of the day and adding it to the files turns me off. I dont believe there is anything currently available for Olympus that does that...is there?

I was actually surprised when the search only turned up one or two threads... or maybe I am searching for the wrong thing?

try searching geocaching

Geocaching is a major GPS based hobby. People place various objects in spots like on hiking trails, then post the GPS coordinates online. Sometimes it is a book you sign, sometimes it is an object you trade for something you already own... it could be anything. You can either hunt for them or place them... or both.

I did the whole geocaching thing for a bit, but there really aren't a lot of people participating in caching around here, so I lost interest. Its pretty fun in an area where there are a lot of people participating.

In any event, it has absolutely nothing to do with Geotagging, which is the process of embedding your geographic location into a picture that was taken in that spot.

I'm just glad there's someone else here into it :lol:

I started a thread about it a while back and I swear I heard birds chirping.

:lol: So true! Its still big in areas with really nice scenery and hiking trails, but seems to have died out everywhere else. There are still a few forums floating around, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back