Anyone out there still read books?

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
So, what's your favorite? I recently picked up my favorite book of a few years ago, and fell in love with it all over again. 1984, by George Orwell

So, a few that I just love (no particular order, except the first :) )
1. 1984, George Orwell
2. Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
3. The entire Dune Chronicles, Frank Herbert
4. The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
5. Fight Club (better than th movie, and the movie is great), Chuck Palahniuk
6. Catch-22, Joseph Heller.

Currently reading 1984, and I hate to disappoint you, but I can barely read through a few chapters at a time :|

But Charles Dickens is a definite favourite, but once again, not Tale of Two Cities. Nicholas Nickleby I prefer, as well as Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

I will get an official list made up later ;)

Haven't read Nickolas Nickelby yet... Maybe I should give it a go. (Once I finish the 5 books I already have lined up...) :)

And about 1984...that's too bad. That's one of the few books that when I pic it up, I have trouble putting it down.

I was reading a lot last month, but now, with school and everything, I really have a little time left for reading and I have an enormous pile of books on my table waiting to be read. Anyway, here's a bit about my faves (for many of them, i'm not sure if there's a (good) english version available cause i mostly read in french...):
-Daniel Pennac and Amelie Nothomb, I've been reading a lot of their stuff lately.
-Novecento by Alessandro Baricco (amazing book, short, astonishing!!! Never can get enough of this one! Also better than the movie even if the movie is quite well done)
-Currently reading "Travels with Charley - in search of America" by John Steinbeck.

Hey I didn't know Fight club was a book! I loved the movie, now i've gotta read it!
Actually, I have a few thing by Orwell in my pile...

Thanks for this thread, it reminds me i have other interests in life than photography...
And thanks a lot for your reading suggestions!

Aside from information and technical stuff the most recent book I've read was "Billy" by Pamela Stephenson.

For anyone who doesn't know it's Billy Connolley's biography and it's absolutely amazing. Total respect to the guy! :hail:

Jostein Gaarder's books are amazing.... "Sophie's World", "The Solitaire Mystery", "Through a Glass, Darkly"

He's probably my favourite author of all time. But you can't beat some of the classics like, 1984, Pride and Prejudice, Madame Bovary and all that jazz.

Moby Dick - Melville

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling

The Crucible - Arthur Miller

The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Now I'm reading At Risk by Stella Rimington

Soon to be reading The Grapes of Wrath for an English paper...

tool a break halfway thru 'On photography' by Sontag
Now going thru 'The World is Flat' by Thomas L. Friedman

re-reading Crime and Punishment by Fyoder Dostoevsky

re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

reading A Clockwork Orange (after having seen the movie) by Anthony Burgess

reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

started Invisible Monsters by Chuck by Chuck Palahniuk

just read through The Negative by Ansel Adams

reading Kara Walker: Pictures From Another Time by Kara Walker

was also given two books which i read the first chapter of:

-Act of War by Dale Brown, skimmed, technical view of warfare through the eyes of a veteran, sounds interesting, not sure if i want to read 300 pages of it though
-The Third Secret by Steve Berry, another banker of the recent religious-fiction genre, saw a program about its subject years before receiving the book, at the very least it could be different than the DaVinci/HolyGrailHolyBlood plotline...

danalec99 said:
tool a break halfway thru 'On photography' by Sontag
I had to read each page 2 or 3 times to get it. :lol:

This year I have actually been reading a lot, mostly because I find highschool to be boring. The problem is also that I get bored with one book easily, so I end up reading a lot of books at once. Right now I'm reading

"Bono in convserstation with Michka Assayas" by Michka Assayas

Magnum: 50 years at the front line of history" by Russell Miller

"Truth Needs no Ally: Inside photojouranlism" by Howard Chapnick

"State of Exception" by Giorgio Agamben

"Night Draws Near: Iraq'a people in the shadow of america's war" by Anthony Shadid

"Free Culture" by Lawrence Lessig

I will read about 20 pages in a book, and go on to a different book :)

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien

The Simirillian - J.R.R. Tolkien

um... I'll have to give the others some thought

wish i had more time. my day is spent in technical manuals or childrens books :mrgreen:

I'm reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

1984 by Orwellis defienetly my favorite.
Famous Last Words by Timothy Findley is messed up and good, very well written by a canadian bloke.
Hot Water Music by Charles Bukowski is an awesome perturbed book of short stories I have come to love greatly.

I am currently re-reading the Shannara series by Terry Brooks.

I will read pretty much anything that has Stephen King's name on it.

I have recently gotten into R.A. Salvatore and many of the Forgotten Realms books.

Anything Star Wars.

Larry Niven has wrote some amazing things, highly recommend if you like Sci-Fi

For JonMikal!

Seeing as though you're only litterary stimulation can be kids books - try these ones out by Jeannie Baker... http://www.jeanniebaker.com/ She's an amazing collage artist chikky who does these amazing kids books.

Most reactions

Back