anyone work at Adorama/B&H superstore in NYC?

thereforeiamx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
marieeisley.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I feel like a total idiot posting this, but I'm hell-bent on saving up to get a Sigma 10-20mm super wide lens and has been wanting to get one for nearly a year. I'm a stereotypically poor college student who just began working, and I've calculated that by the middle of January, I would have just enough to afford that lens and a circular polarizer for that thing.

Only problem is I'm leaving to visit my grandma overseas with family and would have to have the lens + cpol by New Year's. :( Is there anything anyone can do to slightly cut the price of the lens by even a small bit?

<--- beggar :hail:

I'm not following. Why are you having to have it before new years? And why all the sad faces?

I would be surprised if anyone working the retail counter at either shop has the authority to cut a deal. But hey... no problem asking.

Do you have decent credit? Use 'Bill me later" at B&H, I think you have like 3 month to pay it off in full and there's no interest or fee.

You might be disappointed when you put a CP on that lens. I have one for mine, but it does really wierd things to the sky (especially at the wide end of the zoom range) so I don't use it often. Remember, if you do get one, that you need the ultrathin kind (more expensive) to avoid vignetting.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

I feel like a total idiot posting this, but I'm hell-bent on saving up to get a Sigma 10-20mm super wide lens and has been wanting to get one for nearly a year. I'm a stereotypically poor college student who just began working, and I've calculated that by the middle of January, I would have just enough to afford that lens and a circular polarizer for that thing.

Only problem is I'm leaving to visit my grandma overseas with family and would have to have the lens + cpol by New Year's. :( Is there anything anyone can do to slightly cut the price of the lens by even a small bit?

<--- beggar :hail:

Drop me an email detailing exactly what you are looking for, what applications you have in mind and we'll see if we can suggest another option.

[email protected]

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

In reply to your title -- yes there are reps from some retailers here. What's driving your price up is the wide end of your zoom range. If you can see your way to compromise there, you may be able to find options closer to your price point. You should also check the retailer's used dept and any open-box or demo items they're featuring.

I'm paying tuition for "a stereotypically poor college student," so you certainly have my sympathies.

BTW, the difficulty another poster reported using a pol filter on this lens is not exclusive to this lens. All ultra-wide angle lenses have the same tendency with pol filters. The amount of pol effect you get is determined in part by the angle of view relative to the position of the sun. With an ultra-wide lens, your angle of view relative to the sun can vary by more than 90-degrees from one side of the frame to the other. That's distinct from any vignette issues you may experience.

BTW, the difficulty another poster reported using a pol filter on this lens is not exclusive to this lens. All ultra-wide angle lenses have the same tendency with pol filters. The amount of pol effect you get is determined in part by the angle of view relative to the position of the sun. With an ultra-wide lens, your angle of view relative to the sun can vary by more than 90-degrees from one side of the frame to the other. That's distinct from any vignette issues you may experience.

If I didn't say it right, that's exactly what I meant (which is why I added the link). In no way should that disuade you from that lens. You may just want to save some $$ initially by not buying a CP right away. I have the Sigma 10-20 and LOVE it.

If I didn't say it right, that's exactly what I meant (which is why I added the link). In no way should that disuade you from that lens. You may just want to save some $$ initially by not buying a CP right away. I have the Sigma 10-20 and LOVE it.

What type of CPol do you put on your lens? Slim?

What type of CPol do you put on your lens? Slim?

Yes, I use a slim CP to avoid vignetting, but (as mentioned above and discussed in the link I attached earlier) its not the vignetting that's the problem. Because of the field-of-view of an ultrawide, different parts of the sky have differently polarized light so you get a wierd gradation across the sky. This will happen with any ultrawide and a CP.

Ian

Most reactions

New Topics

Back